Asp Web Pages

The enchanted broomstick

ok so my site is made in asp and ive made a flash file as an intro, when you click the "enter" button the link is directed at "home.asp" which i thought would be a good name for the page seeing as it is the home page.

Also believing that "index.asp" would be the first page that is brought up on the url adress.

so my problem is i want "index.asp" to load up and when the enter button is clicked it takes you to "home.asp"

But even when i have "index.asp" in the right directory it always loads up "home.asp" i dont want this, but if i delete the "home.asp" file from the directory entirely then the "index.asp" page will load up first.

i dont really know whats going on here but im used to working on html not asp so any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers, stu >_<

Sounds like a server setup thing to me. The chances are the server your hosted on is set up to load any one of several pages if they exist and both home.asp and index.asp are in that list, with home.asp being given preference. You might be able to work around this with something like a .htaccess file (although I'm guessing the server is running IIS, so I don't know what the equivalent is) but by far the easiest route is just to call home.asp something else.

Does your host have any kind of domain control access? If so you may be able to edit the URL to forward to index.asp instead of home.asp, alternatively, just rename the files: so your index.asp becomes home.asp and vice versa.

Sounds like a server setup thing to me. The chances are the server your hosted on is set up to load any one of several pages if they exist and both home.asp and index.asp are in that list, with home.asp being given preference. You might be able to work around this with something like a .htaccess file (although I'm guessing the server is running IIS, so I don't know what the equivalent is) but by far the easiest route is just to call home.asp something else.

Indeed the man is correct.

A server has a hierarchical structure for how to call the main "index" page. For example, on my server index.html comes before index.php so if you have both in the same directory, index.html will be called, and the .php will just be left.

Thinking about it now actually, this shouldn't effect it if you directly link to index.asp, except maybe that index.asp is set to redirect to the parent page.

I would also say the easiest way is to just rename offending the page.