Pap Paps!

picki

sorry if this has been done to death!

i have roughly £2500 for a car and insurance...i was thnking of getting a

polo 1.3 mk3 coupe thingy for 6-700 and mucking about with it a tad...this will be about 800 on the barstool insurance

or

a dihatsu chirade 1.0 turdo.... yeah its a 1liter, but they have a fat turbo on...and they do shift. theres one on ebay atm, for £800 and i got a quote for £800.

any other ideas?

oh aint passed my test either yet...worth getting a car now....or when i pass?

cheers :lol:

I got myself a Mk3 Polo GT for my first car, and it's pretty much ideal for learning in and for the first couple of years after you've passed your test. Mechanically I've had pretty much no problems with it, other than routine maintenance that you'd expect to do on any car of a similar age.

If you're getting a GT, then the performance is fairly reasonable, without being fast enough that you'll get yourself in trouble as you're only just learning. I wouldn't advise getting anything more powerful, as you'll face a hefty insurance bill as well as not really being experienced enough to handle the power. I can't comment on how well the standard coupe drives unfortunately.

With a bit of money and some time you can get the mk3 coupes to look fairly decent. I spent a week or so a couple of years ago stripping the paint down and getting it all resprayed again, including body coloured spoiler, bumpers and mirrors, and it's amazing how much better it looks for it.

To be honest, anything with a turbo on a 1ltr engine is asking for trouble. Not to mention the fact that being a new "confident" driver you WILL have your foot to the floor alot, especiall yin a 1.0 ltr. Add to that the cheapy turbo and you got something which is unreliable. The polo seems a much nicer option. I know everyone says it, but VWs will go on forever. The old ones are amazing, dunno how they managed it!