Wtd... Advice On Bars + Stem

mintsauce96

Hi, I have just brought a Leeson which is sweet. Only problem is the front end is a little low so I think I need some bars and a stem with a little more rise. Any ideas?? I like the look of the Megamo team bars + stem but not sure if they are sold seperatly? Anyone know where I can get some?

yo dude,

iv run EA50 riser bars (high) and an EA50 forged stem (90mm by 10degrees)

with the bars correctly set up you just ask most people on here that have ridden my bike, i have swopped them between bikes 2-3 times now and it makes the bike feel similar to all the other bike even though the geo is different, instead of changing you bar position it changes your riding posture.

and for a leeson with it being a street style bike i would advise you try it? and the EA50 stuff aint too expensive £30 for bars IF that and £40 for a stem IF that.

Waynio............................

yo dude,

iv run EA50 riser bars (high) and an EA50 forged stem (90mm by 10degrees)

with the bars correctly set up you just ask most people on here that have ridden my bike, i have swopped them between bikes 2-3 times now and it makes the bike feel similar to all the other bike even though the geo is different, instead of changing you bar position it changes your riding posture.

and for a leeson with it being a street style bike i would advise you try it? and the EA50 stuff aint too expensive £30 for bars IF that and £40 for a stem IF that.

Waynio............................

The bars I have are EA50's but must be the shorter rise version?? They don't rise much. This is a completely new bike to me as my last one was stolen ;-(

The front just seems too low to me and I'm struggling to keep the front up.

the 90mm EA50 stem and the high rise EA50 bars should raise you up a bit?

BUT if you have cut your forks off too short then you will struggle, the best way on setting your bike up is if you get the correct position on one bike keep it the same on another EVEN if it means leaving the forks full length and putting 3x 20mm spacers in!!!!!!

its all about being comfortable with the height of the handlebars off the ground. if you measure your bars from the floor to one of the sides and see trial/error with it asnd find the best position possible even if it means buying new forks to try it.

i got my new koxx through yesterday and set it all up with the same style set up as my old bike. info below:

Bars off ground are 37.5 inches.

(floor to centre of grip)

My boss does this alot to get his road bike position JUST to give you an example.

He dangles a piece of string with a pencil attached to the end and slides his saddle forwards and back to get his EXACT position!it might sound fiddly and a pain in the arse, i laughed my head off at it, but then when you start doing something similar you think! there is reason behind the matter. and ever since i have taken his advice on how to set a bike up specifically! and it truly works, just as another point if i get on anyone elses bike i cant ride it cos i am soooooooooooooo used to riding a similar if not same set up for like months on end, even if i rode someones bike for a day without my own set-up i cannot ride the bike. people might think its so un true but just try it for a day when you have had a bike set up (bars stem and height off ground) for so long and you'll see what i mean.

Waynio.............................

Koxx Levelboss 1085 (mine measures 1100 but feels short!) wipes the floor! long bikes make natural easier BUT street could be difficult (yet to find this out)

I wouldn't particularly recommend EA50 bars and stem, as I know Scott Pitcher has snapped both of them. The bars took quite a beating though, as they were third hand by the time Scotty snapped them.

Try searching through chain reaction for stems, they usually have quite a range, if you can get something with 15-20% rise it may make things a bit more comfortable.

Wouldn't recommend Megamo stems as its already been mentioned how painfull they are, try something from Echo or Onza instead.

excellent advice.... thanks everyone! You have probably saved my kneecaps by the sound of it and my sanity (I thought I had lost all ability after 6 months of no bike!)

I have plenty of options to try. Might just take bike to shop and see how some look up against it.

Now if only I'd hung some string from the old bike's bars before it was nicked :lol:))

Will remember to do it when this one feels right!

Ta, Kev.