Polishing My Frame?

David

Hey everyone. My pitbull needs a change and Im wondering If it would be possible to give my frame a nice polished look. (Like the new hi-fi, coustillier etc) Anyone know how? Would the frame have to be laqcuered again after or something? Thanks for any help.

Dave

On my Koxx Levelboss the original owners had sprayed it, then stripped it, so i was left with a bare metal frame.

I bought some brasso metal polish, rubbed away with that then polished the black Brasso crap off with a lint-free rag.

It now shines :)

I stripped my forks and put them through the same process, seems to work well.

I havn't botherd to laquer (sp?) it, just polish it every ~ 4 months, comes up bright every time :ermm:

I havn't botherd to laquer (sp?) it, just polish it every ~ 4 months, comes up bright every time :ermm:

I think i am right in saying that if you laquer it then you would never have to polish it. It would keep its shine. Not sure where to get laquer... probably a DIY store or maybe Halfords.

Wait to see what other people reply though cos its not something i have tried myself.

Yeah if you laqure it, it will hold its shine but its a good idea to clean it with METHS not white spirirt as i leaves a residue!!!

Halfords sell laqure for about 2 quid a time, wilkinsons have some of their own brand that £1:29 and seems ok but its not 100% clear so its a tiny bit erm foggy.

If you have to strip your frame its worth remembering your not meant to use nitro mors on alloy and you will probably invalidate your warranty by polishing it.

i tried this before with halfords laquer and found it dulled the shine off. didnt look so nice and shiney after that !!!

edit: and halfords laquer is pants, i found no matter how many coats you apply it just seems to kinda peel off.

Edited by megamomac

i tried this before with halfords laquer and found it dulled the shine off. didnt look so nice and shiney after that !!!

edit: and halfords laquer is pants, i found no matter how many coats you apply it just seems to kinda peel off.

It will peel off if the surface is smooth, needs to be rough to get a good bond doesn't it?? :ermm:

Im looking to put new stickers on ma t-mag, whats best to take the laqure off + stickers withought scratching the frame e.g sanding the bad boys off. And where can i get the stuff from.

Cheers  :ermm:

Rich

if you've got any nitromors try that as it might work but i'm not sure. because they kinda have a layer over them

You arent supposed to use nitro mors on aluminium, says so on the tin :ermm:

Use some wet & dry 1200 to get it nice and smooth, then give it a going over with some rubbing compound to get it nice and shinny. Try going to a proffesional spray place and see if the sell sprays (worth a try). They might have a super clear laquer which is what you need

Edited by merlin_rider

It will peel off if the surface is smooth, needs to be rough to get a good bond doesn't it?? :ermm:

yeah but seeing as he was after a polished finish, i thought i would point out my experience with laquer and polished ally. lol as if the surface was rough it wouldnt be polished :)

Im looking to put new stickers on ma t-mag, whats best to take the laqure off + stickers withought scratching the frame e.g sanding the bad boys off. And where can i get the stuff from.

Cheers  :ermm:

Rich

Nitromorse them off, Just done my whole t-rex frame :(