Linux Help

froggy

I'm new to linux and I've just finished downloading & installing redhat 9. I have no knowledge of linux and fancy giving it a bash.. Before I get started though I want my internet woking on linux so I can read and follow some guides and crap to get a general feel of it. I have a speedtouch 330 external USB modem. I've googled it and found This linux drivers for my modem.

Thats not the problem though, I downloaded the drivers on windows and put them onto my usb storage stick so I could go back to linux and install them from there. I put the pen drive in the USB thingy and nothing happend allthough it showed up in '/mnt' and when I removed it, it dissapeard from '/mnt'. So it's detecting the stick but it says theres 0 files on there.... I went back to windows and I could see the files in windows (with the linux extentions) .tar .sh and some others. Why aren't they showing up on linux? :">

Thanks

Adam :">

Could it be something to do with the file system on the USB stick? I never use them so I don't know whether they need to be formatted with a particular file thingy. Put the drivers on a CD or floppy.

Edit: Alternatively, if you're having trouble with the drivers then get a router. Its easily the fastest way of setting up net access on Linux.

Edited by UrbanPoet

Yeah, check the file system on the USB stick (in windows).

If it's showing up in /mnt, it would suggest that it is recognised by redhat. But just try putting the drivers on a floppy/CD as Urbanpoet said.