Front Wheel Gaps.

RyanRs

Hi, i have been teaching myself front wheel gaps on gaps that the landing is higher than the take off, basically where you start on the back wheel and go about doing the gap asif you are going to land on the back wheel, but you land on the front instead and do a whapping great endo then swap to the back wheel - Neil tunnicliffe does it a lot in his later videos...

i am slowly getting the hang of it and very slowly getting over the fear of coming up too short and face planting the other side,but problem is, the bigger the gap is, the more uncontrolled i feel on the landing, and i have a tendency to go at it a bit sideways, causing my back end to start swinging round when the front wheel touches.. how do i stop this?? are you supposed to gap in a perfectly straight line, or are you allowed to be at a slight angle.. doing it in a perfect straight line feels suicidal!!

Also getting up things front wheel 1st, when you give the bike 1 big kick hop rite by the edge of the object and then sort of go straight into an endo on top of the object (what matt staples did in london on that 5ft wall,in his latest promo vid), i can do it on like things that are 3 ft (MAX) and lower, but any higher and the back don't come off the floor?!

does having a long frame help with any of these, as i sill have a blommin orange zero that feels like its a BMX because its so short!!

Help anyone!?

Ry

(Y)

Edited by RyanRs

sounds like your doing everything correctly, but you just need to practice to get the extra distance/heaight (Y)

neil tunni wasnt just able to do big moves straight away (Y)

im sure you know whats coming next,

in the wise words or martyn ashton ...............

Try to be quick as possible when you switch. Also try to forget completely about the switch, and concentrate on hitting it straight and confidently, then with enough practice you'll be able to do it higher because the actually switch to back is done quickly and without thinking about it.

Sorry to go off topic. But I was wondering how to the basic of just gapping to the front wheel without switching. As I am confused (Y)

Any help?

Angus

Set up for a normal gap but as you lower your front end dont lift it up as much as you take off and aim to land on the front wheel with the brake slightly on and roll out to both wheels (Y)

Sorry to go off topic. But I was wondering how to the basic of just gapping to the front wheel without switching. As I am confused (Y)

Any help?

Angus

Just try to take off flying with momentum and confidence forwards aiming your front wheel just over the edge. Then either hold onto the brake if you think you need to, in order to pull the back wheel onto whatever object. If its not needed though, you'll be suprised how much better/easier it is to gap to front without using the front brake. The important part to get right is the leaning back and push the bike forward as you land, if your landing brakeless.

Just try to take off flying with momentum and confidence forwards aiming your front wheel just over the edge. Then either hold onto the brake if you think you need to, in order to pull the back wheel onto whatever object. If its not needed though, you'll be suprised how much better/easier it is to gap to front without using the front brake. The important part to get right is the leaning back and push the bike forward as you land, if your landing brakeless.

i see your point, but im at the stage where i want to try to gap to rails, so i would guess you will need the front brake locked on for this... ??

Not if your name starts with 'V' and ends in 'incent Hermance'

?? Confused! i see you do similar in london, there was a rail, bout just under 4ft, and you rode up to it then just jumped into an endo ontop of it. in neil tunnicliffe's zoo 26 video, he is gapping to rails and landing them front wheel 1st....

(Y)

u wanna throw ur whole body forward body weight over the bars, so by right u should be looking at ur front wheel and not forward when u land on ur front wheel.

the swtich is just a extension of the legs and the movemnt of the body to the uprigth position from the leaned over position... which makes the switch easy, as u have already put loads of effort into getting ur body weigth over.. (Y)

committtment and confindence are a major thing in this...

does that mena u can switch it properly on a flat to flat gap?

Edited by TheChai

?? Confused!  i see you do similar in london, there was a rail, bout just under 4ft, and you rode up to it then just jumped into an endo ontop of it. in neil tunnicliffe's zoo 26 video, he is gapping to rails and landing them front wheel 1st....

(Y)

what you talkin bout dawg ?

what you talkin bout dawg ?

Rite, not the same bit i was previously talking about, but this clip has the same 2 ideas im trying to achive...

have you still got your teaser vid ?? BT bikes one??

if so, play it, its the clip 16 seconds in and the one directly after .. 26 seconds in...

?

Rite, not the same bit i was previously talking about, but this clip has the same 2 ideas im trying to achive...

have you still got your teaser vid ?? BT bikes one??

if so, play it, its the clip 16 seconds in and the one directly after .. 26 seconds in...

?

I know what you mean, but wtf are you asking