Digital Camera's

Brian Bleech

Hello

I am hoping you guys can offer some free impartial advice :P

I am wanting a digital camera, but I am not skint as such, but I am on a definate budget, but the less I spend the better ^_^

I mainly want it for when I go out, taking photos at gigs(because its expensive doing this with a film camera because most of the photos are poop) so i want a flash and just for taking random photos and stuff.

I want something fairly compactsized, not super small though, but not massively bulky!

not fussed about any video features either, i have a video camera for that.

And the budget well I would say £120 max!

Heres what I have seen at the moment.

kodak easyshare

nikon coolpix 2200 - maybe would like 3mp minimum

thanks

mike

Edited by leedstrials

Get yourself down to ALDI. They have some great cameras for as little as £40, up to £80. The one I have is tiny in comparision to other camers, its about 1inx1inx3in. Screen on the back flash etc. Best thing about Aldi is, if it EVER breaks you can take it back. I had my camera from there for 2 years!!!! it had been on holiday with me and out riding so was pretty beaten up. The battery holder thing snapped so I took it back............they didnt even look in the box. Nice new camera for this years holiday ^_^

I would basically reccomend you do the absolute opposite. With a cheap digital camera, even one with over 4MP, you end up with really poor quality photographs since the quality of the lens is so crap. I would rule out Aldi personally.

Have a look on the Dixons website, as they have some decent web-only offers on at the moment, this being the pick perhaps.

Also see if you can find any cheap Konica Rivo cameras anywhere online. My dad bought a brand new Konica Revio KD-510Z recently at a hugely marked down price since they are no longer made (since Konica merged with Minolta). Its a really decent camera, with different shooting modes, and with a picture quality that looks pretty decent (even compared to my £1000+ Canon EOS 10D DSLR).

Edited by giptown

Save up a little more money and get a slightly better camera, like giptown said "With a cheap digital camera, even one with over 4MP, you end up with really poor quality photographs since the quality of the lens is so crap" its not worth getting anything...

In fact, personally if I were you, i would just practice with your film camera, once you have got the hang of taking good photos with that, your images will have unbeatable quality... well worth the money.

I have a fuji finepix s5500, its not a bad digital camera... but I only use it when I don't have any film on me or if i'm experimenting with ideas.

Maybe i'm a little bias, but I love my 35mm slr, and I think its a shame that the use of film is dying out.

I don't know too much about cameras, but my mate has got this - Nikon Coolpix 3200 - and any pictures taken with it have always looked pretty good to me.

Well, he's actually got a Coolpix 3100, but the 3200 replaces it so I presume its even better.

Add me to msn (gplatt2000@hotmail.com) and I can send you some photos taken with it if that's any help.

Also, I'd definitely recommend Pixmania - reall cheap, and anything I've bough from there has been deliered quicker than they said (glad I didnt pay extra for 'next day delivery' as it came next day anyway)