Enlarging Images In Photoshop

modx-lite

Ok sounds a simple enough question I know, but....

I've got a really small image, and need to make it bigger. But without loosing the quality. It's fairly simple, only black & white (as in, one shade of black - simple blocks of colour), so I've started vectorizing it (tracing over it in Illustrator). But I was talking to my art teacher the other day and he said there's some way in Photoshop (CS) to enlarge pics without losing much quality? Someething about photoshop being able to 'guess' where missing pixels should go (he was teaching another class at the time so didn't get chance to actually show me)?? Can't say I know anything about this, so I was just wondering if any of you knew how this is done?

Cheers

its called "interpolation" when you resize a low quality image, photoshop just spaces the pixels out more and more the bigger you go. Interpolation is when photoshop fills the gaps inbetween these pixels with what it thinks should go there.

unless your image is really simple and has no detail whatsoever, i would stick to redrawing it in illustrator as this uses vector based graphics which are inifinatly resizeable. actually, even if it is really simple i would still redraw because its not like it would take very long anyway.

cheers

dan