24 Inch Geo

peter l

you i searched abit and found alittle information however, im going to ask again. I think a 24 inch trials bike is for me, heres a vid of my style and i think its pretty 24----->http://www.kd-productions.net/downloads/files/Peter%20Lesperance%20Rider%20Video.wmv

so i have little idea about geometry.

it will be being made by peyto(canada's leeson)

with 26 inch wheels streety chainstay lengths are between 390 and 410 ish in my opinion. with 24 inch wheels do u want to make them even smaller because you can?

around 20 mm bb rise so your bb isnt to low correct? will that take away from skatepark riding. and a high rise handlebar is good to use with high bb correct?

head tube length isnt important is it?

headtube angle? i'll probably design it around a pashley fork with 24inch canti mounts. anyone know how long that is, is that a strong fork, i ride lots of skatepark and tons of street, steeper is good 72 is quite common, i do lots of barspins so it cant be so steep that the tire will hit my pedal or anything.

wheel base-- im used to very short but i want a little longer, probably a 22.5 inch top tube or maybe 23 im rather tall(6'1"0) and a wheel base of 1010 or something like that

thoughts opinions and whatnot are greatly appreciated :)

Hey buddy, nice to see another canadian on the site. You ride so much like craig robinson it's crazy. I commented on your thread on MTBkanata.com

Ok, well, you should borrow alot of ideas from BMX geometry because you'll be riding alot of BMX inspired stuff, but you still need to keep some trials aspects.

For the head angle, the steeper it is, the longer your top tube is, which makes the bike harder to pull up. The slacker it is, the longer your wheelbase is. Therefor, I'd say a 73 degree head angle is good. It's close to the 74 deg average BMXs have and you'll be able to maintain a 1010 wheelbase without too long a top tube. The steeper you go, though, the easier front brake tricks, spins and control will be.

A shorter wheelbase will make spins really easy. 1010mm is really good. Don't get too long a fork though. It's better to have a high handlebar set up than a long fork. My bike's gonna have a 1010mm wheelbase but that's cause I want it to feel like a BMX, you're alot taller than me, so you might be able to pull off 1020, which would make trials easier.

As for chainstays, I think the length on the Leeson and the Ashton are around 380mm, or 14.9", but I'm not sure. Copy their length. It's worked for everyone. Because of the smaller wheel, you do need to go shorter than what you would on a 26" wheeled bike.

I'M gonna be getting mine made by Joe Mamma's in Ottawa this winter. If you have anymore questions or just wanna come down to our nation's capital to ride, PM me your MSN address. We'll talk.

I have the following geo for my Leeson:

Cstays – 380mm - this is standard on Ashton, Leeson and Curtis so is pretty much dialled

Wheelbase – 1030mm

Headangle – 74 degrees - an inch tighter than the Ashton and Curtis Standard, make the steering a bit quicker and also makes the bike better on the the front wheel.

BB - +25mm – a bit of bb rise is good to give extra clearance, due to the smaller wheels. Make sure you put a extra 25mm of spacer on your headtube to compensate for the bb rise. The leeson comes with a 120mm steerer tube, which makes the bike look a bit cleaner as you don’t have to put as many spacers in.

I had a go on a 1000 wb leeson at the weekend and it was uber spinny and flicky, but it was still decent on the back wheel, the guy that rides it though is around 5’7’’ and you are quite tall so maybe something around 1020 with a 73 degree headangle will be good of park stuff.

I haven’t watch your vid yet, will do later.and make any new comments that my or may not arise.

mike

Hi Peter,

Im also sorting out the geometry for a 24 inch bike that I will be buying at the moment, a Leeson Fluid.

I watched your video, thumbs up, very good riding there :lol:. The riding you do is similar to what I wish to do when I get mine so I will watch this thread with interest!

Im hopefully going to try a Leeson at the end of this week if everything works out okay, so that should help me decide more easily :o

~Gareth

thanks alot, i think peyto will make mine, do the 24 bikes manual well?

Hiya, do Peyto have a website? Just out of interest, but I looked on google and couldnt find anything?

Oh, and Id like to know about the manuals to - I hope so as nice long flowing manuals are B) :P :lol: :o !

~Gareth

I am unable to help you with 24" geometry but just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed your video!

You seem to have a very BMX oriented style with a lot of bunnyhops and skatepark riding, I think 24" will suit you!

I think you should also post a separate thread for your video in the sites/vids section of the forum so more people will get the video :lol:

thanks man :lol: www.peytocycles.com

well i m thinking

380 mm chain stays

1020 wb

bb +25 mm

73 degree headtube angle

probably like a 10 inch seat tube? whats the standard seattube on a leeson?

and if i have a longer steertube i wont need as many spacers correct?

so 120mm i guess but how do i kno how much spacers to put on?

and the fork? does leeson still distribute pashley forks and tioga rims? how long a fork would u recommend, thank you all for your help.

and the fork? does leeson still distribute pashley forks and tioga rims? how long a fork would u recommend, thank you all for your help.

Leeson (Aka Pashley forks) look good on a skinny steel frame, but you can just use any 26" fork if you use a disc or move the mounts. Clive Leeson can sort you out with the corrected forks if you need it.

And yeah, I think he can get most stuff in like rims and other finishing bits :lol: