Photoshop - Patterns

modx-lite

OK I've found a pattern from a website design that I really like, and want to copy. But I just can;t seem to work it out.

Here's the pattern I mean - the black stripy thing as the background - here (image uploader seems to be being a bitch to me)

So I saved the image, zoomed right in to the background but I really can't work out the pattern - not sure where to start/stop my selection to make the pattern work when defining it:S

I'm not sure if this is just me being a retard or what, but any help would be great, either telling me an easy way to do it or actually making it and sending me the pattern file if you can. But I would like to know how to do it, cos I get the feeling I'm just being an idiot.

Cheers for any help

Yeah that's what I thought at first, but when you actually zoom right in on the pattern it's definntely not - there's at least 4 different colours they've used! Which is annoying. It looks a lot more 'natural' than scan lines, less crisp. Still nto managed to work it out!

Thanks anyway, good link you gave me there, loads of useful stuff :)

Gavin

Hmm tried what I think you mean but can't seem to get it right. Do you mean have the scan lines as the first layer, then cloud render (with blue and then some sort of blending mode) as the next layer? Or the other way round? Or completely different (as I can;t seem to get either method to get the right result (Y) ) Most problay just me anyway

Cheers people

Blank document.

Fill with a dark-ish grey (you can change it later if it's not perfect)

Filter > Noise > Add noise > Uniform, 5%, Monochromatic

Then add the scan lines pattern in a layer over the top, but instead of using black scan lines use white ones (apply the one up there but then invert it - Ctrl + I )

Decrease the opacity of the scan lines layer to about 30%

Bob's your uncle (Y)

If you wanna change the colour underneath, just fiddle with the brightness/contrast settings on the bottom layer.

THANK YOU!!!! SO much! Pretty worrying just how much a pattern in Photoshop has been pissing me off... But yeah thanks a lot, that's perfect :D

Whilst we're at it, if I have a pattern (i.e. the black scan lines), is there a way of using that pattern but as a different colour (i.e. have red scan lines)? Or would I have to make a new pattern using red?

Thanks again

No probs (Y)

And as for the scan lines in red, just fill using the pattern as normal, but then Ctrl - U the scan lines and "colourise" them.

Or select the scan lines (Ctrl - Click the layer icon) then make a new layer just filling the selection with any colour you like (Alt-backspace) :D