Magura Hs33... Bit Spongy

trials_hazard

Hi all.

My rear brake is quite weak. I pull the lever all the way to the bars and roll the bike back and the wheel can move a bit. The brakes are set up quite close to the rims, only about 1-3mm Gap. Someone suggested bleeding it... :) only thing is i dont know how and have never bled a magura before. If anyone can suggest what i should do or how i can bleed the brake and what i need then that would be great!! :angry:

Thanks

Toby

Bleed it, and make sure its all set up right at the wheel. My favourite way is let all the air out of your tyre, and pull on it on one side so you can fully see the brake pad on one side - so you can see if its flat to the rim. Then set it up so its as parallel as possible, and do the same for the other pad.

Bleeding is very very easy - takes about 5 minutes and is much easier than most people think.

A 3mm (it might be 2.5mm?) allen key, a 5mm allen key, and a bath :)

It'll be bled with oil as standard, so you'll need to empty it fully of oil before putting it in the bath, otherwise your Mum will cave your skull in.

Undo the bolt on the slave cylinder (you have the two cylinders, and one of them will have the main brake hose and the cross-over going into it, and the other side will have a bolt head and the other end of the cross-over. IT's the bolt one you wanna be dealing with). Then, try and empty out all the oil (pump it out, basically). Loosen off the TPA (the red knob) as much as you can. Having done that, take out the bleed bolt by the lever (in the hole by where the main hose goes out of). Some more oil may drop out due to the lack of a vacuum above it, so watch out! If you've got a pump, now is a good time to blow the excess oil out just to stop it going to crap inside the Magura.

After all that, run the bath. The more full it is, the easier to bleed the brake.

Having done that, put the complete Magura in the bath. Make sure you've got the bleed bolts and allen keys to hand! Make sure again the TPA is all the way out/loose.

Now, you need to make sure that the lever end of the brake is higher in the water than the cylinders. This is because there will be air in your system that will need to escape, so it'll go to the highest point of the system. If there's cable there, it'll settle in the cable. Try and straighten out the hoses as much as you can, and regularly tap all the length of the hose to free out any air bubbles. Pump the lever too, to promote the movement of the water.

Next, put the bleed bolts back in.

Take it out the water, and squeeze it. Check the movement of the pistons - if they move a decent amount, it should be bled OK. If they don't, put it back in the water, with the lever higher again, and take out the lever bleed bolt. Tap the hosing, and the bubbles in the system should float out.

Repeat as necessary :angry:

Or, get/borrow a proper bleed kit and you dont even need to take the brake off the bike! :)

*wind TPA all the way out.

*fill syringe with fluid of choice, remove bolt form slave cylinder, attach syringe.

*remove bolt from lever, attach tube and place end of tube in a bottle/container.

*squeeze syringe to push fluid all through system, until you see diff colour/ clearer fluid, for a rear brake this is most of a syringe (half to 3 quaters).

*remove bleedtube, squeze syringe slightly while putting bolt in lever to prevent air getting in.

*remove syringe, top up in the little hole, then replace bolt.

*wipe away spilages, ride!

me and a couple of mates went thirds on a bleed kit a while back and the bleedkit is the easiest way to get a decent bleed again imo.

a couple of little kids round my area have just bought trials bikes after seeing me and some mates riding around, and one of the bolts came loose at the slave cylinder for one of the kids and his dad paid me to bleed it and sort the problem out for him! i only used water so a fiver for a 2 minute job isnt too bad!

bleed kits are very easy to use, its just getting one in the first place that can take a couple of days, but once youve got it your sorted forever!

Tom

Water is great, just fill a glass with tap water and let it rest for 10 min so the tiny bubbles dissapear. then just pump water trough a few times and then just follow the normal rebleeding technique. cheap and gives the maggie a decent feeling (Y)