Drop-out Problem. Advice Needed Please

Bobby Fox

Hello all. When riding about 10 minutes ago i clean snapped my drop-out off while practicing side hops. As you will have guessed i hope into my mech side, meening this happens to me all the time. Im starting to get a bit annoyed to say the least! Anyway im tempted to buy the fresh products tensioner seeing that so many people such as Porter have said they are good. A couple questions however............ 1.does the tensioner connect direct to the frame held secure between the drop-out and QR, meening there is no chance of drop-out damage? (hope this makes sence (N) )................. 2.Why are steel drop-outs not produced?, i know they would be heavier but surely they wouldnt bend!

thanks for the help guys (Y)

The fresh products tensioner is awesome, and I've landed on it a fair few times, that would have previously took the mech hanger clean off. It didn't even bend the hanger, simply scratch some of the anodising off the tensioner. :P

It's really good, simple to adjust, etc etc, and I can't see it possible to snap hangers with it. (N)

Steel drop outs (or mech hangers...) still would bend, except they'd be possible to bend back - up to around 20(?) times, before they snap, whereas alu can only be bent and bent back once before it would snap. Titanium on the other hand can be bent back like a thousand times before it breaks, so it would be a far better material to use. :P

If you go through mech hangers frequently (like I used to - just nowhere near the rate of Porter :lol:), then I'd definately buy a fresh tensioner.

Mike. (Y)

Edit to post below:

They're £28, and you can get them from The Fresh Products Website :D

Edited by Fatmike

If were going down that rout then lead has an almost infinate fatigue length (amount of times it can be bent), but then it would be fuggin heavy and a bit too weak. A good way of tentioning chains on jump bikes that need the dropouts to be clean for stalls/grinds is to ust a front chain-device's lower roler to tention the chain, however on most trials bikes you'd probably obliterate the roller preaty fast.

I just re-read my post and noticed that its all pointless bull as none of it will probably help, ive just suggested stuff and then pointed out its flaws but hay, Sorry.