Single Speed Bodge

beigemaster

Right, this is a little idea for those of you with single speed chain tensioners which lets be honest are a bit crap.

Instead of running the chain under the jockey wheel and relying on spring tension to hold the chain in place just copy the fresh products idea and put the chain over the jockey wheel instead. (so its between the wheel and the frame) Then pull the tensioner up using a couple of zip tyes and Roberts your mothers brother you have a nice tight chain.

Pros, very cheap and pretty dam reliable (i had this set up on my Curits super X and it took the odd huck or two)

Cons, if you want to take the wheel off you have to cut the zip tyes so unless you have a good supply of them its not THAT long term.

Pics

P1010050.jpg

P1010051.jpg

Sorry if this has been done before or anything but I just thought I would share it with you if anyone is getting pi55ed off about there chains skipping

welcome to last year. :D

I did that yonks ago. Then I realized how shit my dmr tensioner was, so I got a mech instead.

I put the zip ties between the chainstay and the axle that the jockey wheel sits on. Little less risk of you snapping the ties by scraping on rocks or stuff. Looks a bit cleaner aswell.

WOW this is so original I can't belive that no person had ever thought of this idea before!

Even though Surley provide an up tensioning spring free with it to use if you want to tension up. Hell, it even tells you how to do it on the instructions that come with it.

Sorry to piss on your chips. Your lucky that it works actually, if your chainstays or chain was a few mm longer or shorter it wouldn't work. Also by zip tieing it up against the frame your putting a large amount of force on the freehub. If you still have it, use the up tensioning spring for the Surley and then zip tie it up loose.

If you have lost the up spring and want one, let me know, I'll put one in the post.

Thanks for the advice and I did put in my original post "sorry if it's been done before" and altho alot of guys on here probably have seen/done it there are also probably some new guys in the trials world who may not have. As for whether it dosnt work on longer or shorter chainstays as I said before I ran this set up on a Curtis Super X which has chainstays well over 16 inch :D Im sure it may have come with extra springs but I didnt buy this tensioner new (hence the bodge job) and it barely has enough spring to pull the chain at all! Oh I did quite like the expression

piss on your chips.
:P