I Hate Helicoils.com

PaRtZ

OK Ive just lost the thread in (another) one of my magura mounts, so I started to helicoil it. Ive done this before before you think, and it worked perfectly.

I drilled, I tapped, and then I had/have problems. Ive put the spring on the end of the tool and its gone over the little spring loaded bump which is supposed to force it to screw in. The only problem is, that when I go to screw it in, the insert doesn't turn, and the tool screws itself into the insert (which has stayed OUT of the hole)

So any ideas anyone? Currently not impressed.... Its the same tools + sizes as I used for the time before so I KNOW its the corrected sizes....

sounds almost like you've killed the threads after you've tapped it out.... try putting the tap down again to clean the threads.... might help :P

thanks for trying but no help :( The tap glides down smoothly all the way and litterally stops instantly when it reaches the end of the thread

Also tried gt85; no work

bending spring so its a tighter fit on the tool; no work

i asume that youve drilled about 4-5mm yea? get a 1mm bigger drill bit and just drill the top about 0.5mm deep and then run thetap down the hole, this should give the thread lead so it should start, the coild should have a small bit in the middle for the tool to hold which goes in first then gets snapped off to lock in place

the coils should have a small bit in the middle for the tool to hold which goes in first then gets snapped off to lock in place

Yeah I've seen them everyelse but this set just has like a 0.3mm notch in the spring which this clip presses against. Obviously it keeps jumping out of the clip.....

Ill try the drill idea in a bit, possibly tomoz. Thanks for the idea :)