Overhang

duane

Hi All,

I have searched the forum trying to figure out how a longer or shorter stem is going to affect my bike, while there are plenty of stem related posts, I haven't found any that refer to whether the stem over hangs the front wheel or not, which is surely the most relevant factor to how flickable the back of the bike will be ?

My Scott Aspen MTB has a negative overhang of 145mm, that is the center of the handle bars is 145mm behind the center of the front axle which probably explains why its so hard to get the back wheel up. As the bike is a cross country FS bike this is ideal, you want the back wheel to stay stuck down for power when climbing and safety when decending.

However thats not what I am using the bike for. Now to get the stem where I think it should be, more or less directly over the center of the front axle I would need a stem of 245mm, which is plain wrong.

Is my thinking all wrong, what sort of over/under hangs do you have on a purpose designed trials bike ?

Duane.

Well explained , but you forgot two variables : fork rake and handlebar sweep . These will only account for minor differences , but can radically affect the " feel " of the bike . I don't think there's any right or wrong here , it's largely down to personal prefference and the other componentry you will be running .

Edited by Endohopper

Well explained , but you forgot two variables : fork rake and handlebar sweep .

Head angle is probably more important that either of them.

But seriously, I've never heard anyone use "stem overhang" - and certainly not in trials. Basically any decent trials frame will have geometry that is just about right for trials. We tend to talk in terms of stem lengths and head angles of the bike, which will essentially add up to the same thing. I wouldn't worry about your stem overhang anyway.

Hi All,

The bike I have is a normal FS MTB, while I realise that any decent trials bike has a trials specific head angle, I am interested to know how different this is, if at all from my mountain bike.

Looking at the handlebars and stem as a lever acting around the front wheel axle, it would seem to me that a stem that positions the bars forward of the front axle would make the bike very tippy, whereas with the bars way behind the front axle its going to be extremely hard to lift the back wheel in an endo. This is regardless of the head angle which primarily effects steering response. I realise there are a million other factors like BB height, wheelbase etc, but ultimatley when you put the front brake on and rock forward, the further foward your bars are in relation to the front axle the more you will be pushing over, rather than through the front axle and the easier the back will lift.

Its possible that I am completely wrong, so if anyone has a plumb line and a tape measure handy, go drop the plumb line from the center of your bars and measure the distance in front of or behind the center of the front wheel axle, then let me know how easy moves requiring a back wheel lift are, we might learn something,

Regards

Duane.

Edited by duane

The bike I have is a normal FS MTB, while I realise that any decent trials bike has a trials specific head angle, I am interested to know how different this is, if at all from my mountain bike.

jump on any zoo echo onza koxx and then youll realise exactly how much differnce there is.

http://www.koxx.fr/popup.php?lg=fr_FR&sec=...DB4198af2bbafd9

IPB Imagehttp://www.btt.com.ar/foto/o/10/84/1084202693_chameleon_geo.jpg

To be honest stem overhang doesnt really matter too much for front wheel moves- as your technique/body positioning will adjust to whatever stem length you have.

For backwheel moves, there are two things to consider-

a) a shorter stem COULD to a degree make it easier to go to backwheel, because (i) you have less cockpit space, hence more freedom of movement, and (ii) perhaps more importantly, your bodyweight is further backwards, not learnt over the front of the bike.

However,

B) a longer stem could make the force needed to support your own weight while on the backwheel less, due to the increased leverage ratio you obtain between (rear axle-bar distance):(chainstay length)

There are a million different factors to include, but these two are major ones, which are part of the reason you may find most trials riders have VERY short chainstays, to get the best of both worlds from both of the above