Computer Help !

Stanners

My old dell dimension 8100 on windows 2000, when i turn it on it goes through the processes of turning on thn restarts again.....ive tries to start it up in different modes but its avin none of it.......it maybe somthing to do with c:\ being corrupt...................im not good with comps so i need sum help please............. (Y)

It's looking pretty bad for a computer that wont boot mate. Do you have a bootable setup disk you can use to reinstall windows?

By the above i mean: A windows cd, that you put into your cd drive before you turn your computer on, so that it boots the operating system on the cd rather than on c:\

what price range wil tht be at???? (Y)

well if you want to recover your dead hard drive you'll probally pay anywhere from a 100GBP + ? estimate

If you want to get your hard drive replaced best to take it to a shop, but the hard itsel should cost no more than 40 quid and the labour about 20 quid.

pc's can restart when there is fualty hardware in the system, like a knackered lan card etc. It will never get to the os if thats the case.

Its not definately the HDD

can you name something that would make it boot to Windows loading screen and then fail? All the way upto that point the HDD is not being read from or written too, if it is then its reading from a different sector.

my girlfriends comp had the same problem with 2 hard drives on 2 seperate occasions, would get to the point before the windows loading screen an would restart itself. They got a technician out both times, an both times it was the Hard Drive that had failed.

I dont see how a faulty Lan Card can stop you booting into windows? and if his comp worked fine before, then the Lan card wouldnt suddenly go faulty on him unless he buggered round with it. Hard drives have moving parts inside them, so yeh they are going to wear eventually. especially if its 6 years old? :S

Hard drives have moving parts inside them, so yeh they are going to wear eventually. especially if its 6 years old?

i've got an 11 year old 1gb hard drive that still works and a 21 year old 40mb hardrive that still works (in a 21 year old PC) so ner :P . Of course, they don't make em like that anymore - hence my 2 dead 80gb 10,000rpm IBM disks in less than 18months (£200 each!!!! :angry: )

not sure what my point was there :-

anyway....

If the restarting doesn't always happen at the same time - like you'll get a minute before it dies sometimes and a second at other times. OR You've added extra hardware (graphics cards etc) to the machine since you got it the power supply is a prime suspect.

If the machine's 6 years old the one inside is almost certainly weak as piss and on it's last legs by now. If you overload them they can stand up to it for a long time but they degrade and eventually can't cut it anymore - causing your machine to randomly shutdown / reboot etc. (my last one took 9 months at about 50-100watts over what it could really handle safely before dying completely)

If it's always happening at POST (when the scary numbers come up immediately after you turn it on) it's unlikely to be hard disk related. It'll be something aong the lines of what deagledaddy said. Pull out all the non essential hardware - LAN cards, soundcards etc etc. unplug any USB devices (USB mice&keyboards dont count) and any other crap youve got hanging out of it and see if it turns on & windows boots. If it does, start adding hardware 1 bit at a time, turning it on, waiting for windows to boot and repeat till you find the broken bit (it'll stop working at that point)

If none of that helps try a different graphics card cos thats what starts up first (usually)

If that doesn't work you're edging into potentially into damaged memory/MOBO/CPU territory. Try swapping out the Ram sticks if you have more than one. If that doesn't work you're definitely into return to manufacturer territory

If it shits itself while starting windows then reinstall windows into a different folder and use that one instead of the old one - choose to not format your harddrive or you'll lose all your shit

Most importantly - dont let anyone from a computer shop format the harddisk and reinstall windows for you - that's their answer to bloody everything - its a technique that works on the same principle as the nuclear bomb (push button -> problem gone) and has the added bonus that they can sit down for 4 hours watching progress bars and charge you £80 for the privilege

If you're worried about the data, take the hard drive and plug it into another pc so you can copy it all off to CDs or whatever before you start buggering about. If it's not on there anymore find a copy of easyrecovery pro (or similar) and use that to find it.

if that PC blows up, it was your hardrive :D