Back Wheel Problem

EchoOz

Hi, well basically i have just purchased a Gu typhoon long and i love it all accept for the fact that my rear tyre (creepy crawler) rubs. it is immensely close to the chain stay on both sides. anybody else had this problem or is there anything i can do to prevent this ? Cheers Oz

Hi, well basically i have just purchased a Gu typhoon long and i love it all accept for the fact that my rear tyre (creepy crawler) rubs. it is immensely close to the chain stay on both sides. anybody else had this problem or is there anything i can do to prevent this ? Cheers Oz

Hi there :)

I would (if this was a older frame) recommend filing the chainstay away a bit , but not on this occasion. It's possible that you have a buckle in the wheel, thus making the tyre rub? If the wheel is true, then I think it's time for a new tire (Y):)

Does it only rub on the chainstays or is there anywhere else it rubs? Are you sure you have got your wheel dead straight in the centre? As it shouldn't rub at all.

If your wheel is dead straight in the centre, they you may possibly just have to wear down part of the tyre... with a file or something. It shouldn't rub though so there must be another problem with your setup i suppose.

EDIT: Just looked above my post,

It's possible that you have a buckle in the wheel, thus making the tyre rub? If the wheel is true, then I think it's time for a new tire

It should't be time for a new tyre already because he said he just purchased it meaning its pretty new anyway. But yeah, I suppose if there is a buckle in the wheel that wouldn't help things.

Edited by Sam Nugent

no same happened on my control with a 2.5 minnion i did consider cutting off the knobbly bits in the side of the tire which arn't nessissarily needed but it was a ratted tire an was less effort putting an old tyre on

Does it only rub on the chainstays or is there anywhere else it rubs? Are you sure you have got your wheel dead straight in the centre? As it shouldn't rub at all.

If your wheel is dead straight in the centre, they you may possibly just have to wear down part of the tyre... with a file or something. It shouldn't rub though so there must be another problem with your setup i suppose.

EDIT: Just looked above my post,

It should't be time for a new tyre already because he said he just purchased it

I don't believe he said the tyre was new?

I assume you are running a 2.5 ?

Why not downgrade to a 2.35 ? :)

Minion DH for the win (Y)

well it only seems to be rubbing on the chain stay, even with it almost dead central though it still has very very small clarence on both sides less then milimetre which is really weird could it be anything to do with my rim its a try-all rim. really annoying because i'm wanting to ride saturday at Dj so want to get this sorted. Oz

and yer its a 2.5 creepy crawler

well it only seems to be rubbing on the chain stay, even with it almost dead central though it still has very very small clarence on both sides less then milimetre which is really weird could it be anything to do with my rim its a try-all rim. really annoying because i'm wanting to ride saturday at Dj so want to get this sorted. Oz

I doubt it's anything to do with the rim , My reason for this is because if you look at all the complete builds of GU Typhoon's , they come with the '06 echo rims, which are exactly the same width as a try-all , I think you might want a new (or old!) tire on there :)

and yer its a 2.5 creepy crawler

I have the same problem. Im running a try all rim on a GU long and it rubs on one side alot :ermm: To sort it out i just sort of played around with the tension until it didnt rub at all (Y) You just have to play around with the cams/chain tugs until it stops rubbing (Y)

Cheers

Mitch

I have the same problem. Im running a try all rim on a GU long and it rubs on one side alot :ermm: To sort it out i just sort of played around with the tension until it didnt rub at all (Y) You just have to play around with the cams/chain tugs until it stops rubbing (Y)

Cheers

Mitch

Cheers mate ill have a good play with it tommorow and hopefully it wont rub then. the clearence is seriously small though stupid really. Cheers Oz (Y)

Can you not make the chain longer, (half link?) and pull the wheel back a bit?

Still wouldnt work because the shape of the chainstay which sucks. Oz

After all the advice and thoughts on the matter i think my best option is to add an appropriate amount on new link(s) to the chain and pull the wheel as far back as i can and hopefully that will sort it out. thanks for all your help much appreciated Oz

Sorted it out now, adding links to the chain and pulling back the wheel didnt work made it worse. so i just gave the frame a little knock on each chain stay bit of a bodge but at least it works now. Cheers for all your help anyway. Oz :)