Starting Out Again

old skool

hi i'm new here.

i've been riding moto trials for 8 years (since i was 8) and i got a base T20 mod trials bike to practice moto trials on. however i've sold it because there was no one to ride with. no a few of my friends are going to start riding again and i'm desperate to get back into it. i have a decent job now so i can afford something up to about £300 preferably 2nd hand!

i'm just wondering whether 20'' 24'' or 26'' would suit me better

i'm roughly 6ft and weigh about 10 stone (don't know if this matters really)

ill be riding 50/50 street and natural but street will probably be what ill end up riding most.

my sister has a monty 219 (i think) and i have been riding that a lot recently and find it a very nice bike to ride but for some unknown reason i have my heart set on a T-mag don't know why i've been in love with that style frame since i fist saw a zoo at bracken rocks 3 years ago!

any help appreciated

Cheers Jamie

sounds like you like short bikes then ..

all the koxx/echo/gu short mod frames will probably be right up your street, as would a monty or the short toxsin.

I think the t-mag's pretty stumpy - you ought to be able to pick one of them up for 300 2nd hand cos they're only 500 new.

Pythons are about 2-2.5 inches longer than a monty so may not be good. The long koxx/gu/echo mods and the t-pro are about 1-1.5 inches longer - which you might like.

stocks - i don't care ... :P

sounds like you like short bikes then ..

all the koxx/echo/gu short mod frames will probably be right up your street, as would a monty or the short toxsin.

I think the t-mag's pretty stumpy - you ought to be able to pick one of them up for 300 2nd hand cos they're only 500 new.

Pythons are about 2-2.5 inches longer than a monty so may not be good. The long koxx/gu/echo mods and the t-pro are about 1-1.5 inches longer - which you might like.

stocks - i don't care ... :P

stumpy? is that good???

i'm completely cyclo trials illiterate.

id prefer a onza T-mag/T-pro don't know why they just seem the best for the cash i have!

montys looks similar to my old base so id prefer the onza for the different look aswell, sounds gay i know but i don't like being the same for too long

i've been reading through the forum and some stuff confuses me loads i see a nice bike and others see too high/low BB (i don't even know what BB's are id guess ball bearings but...

any more help is greatly appreciated

Cheers Jamie

Close mate, a bb is a bottom bracket.

basically when someone refers to a high bb it just means the bottom bracket shell is positioned quite high on the frame compared to more conventional frames.

high bb' frames make the bike more stable on the rear wheel but i find its harder to gap on.

if i was you and builidng a bike from scratch, id got for the echo lite frame which you could get from tartybikes.

or an iolo frame if you know what geometry you want.

a lot will have changed since you were last interested in the sport and i agree it is hard to catch up.

just make sure you know what your buying and why before you do, its a big desicion and you dont want to mess it up.

dont be afraid to ask questions either (Y) .

can you arrange to go on any local rides and try a few lads bikes out to see the feel of them?if so do that , will give you a much better idea rather than looking at a picture on the interweb.

Close mate, a bb is a bottom bracket.

basically when someone refers to a high bb it just means the bottom bracket shell is positioned quite high on the frame compared to more conventional frames.

high bb' frames make the bike more stable on the rear wheel but i find its harder to gap on.

if i was you and builidng a bike from scratch, id got for the echo lite frame which you could get from tartybikes.

or an iolo frame if you know what geometry you want.

a lot will have changed since you were last interested in the sport and i agree it is hard to catch up.

just make sure you know what your buying and why before you do, its a big desicion and you dont want to mess it up.

dont be afraid to ask questions either (Y) .

can you arrange to go on any local rides and try a few lads bikes out to see the feel of them?if so do that , will give you a much better idea rather than looking at a picture on the interweb.

i undersatand the BB malarchy now cheers buddy

yea ill have to try ride some bikes before i buy!

cheers for help again!

Cheers Jamie

Hi mate.

I was like you getting into trials from a long break and not really knowing much about geometries etc.

I think the best advice has been given. Ride around on a few different bikes. See which you like the feel for. I did and ended up on the T-pro. I think for the price it is the best value for money. Pretty reliable parts and doesn't need much if not any modifying straight away.

Don't rule out stocks either. Have a ride on a few of those too, slightly more expensive but there is much more choice in components etc. But coming from moto trials you probably want a mod.

In the end your choice will come down to personal preferance.

Hi mate.

I was like you getting into trials from a long break and not really knowing much about geometries etc.

I think the best advice has been given. Ride around on a few different bikes. See which you like the feel for. I did and ended up on the T-pro. I think for the price it is the best value for money. Pretty reliable parts and doesn't need much if not any modifying straight away.

Don't rule out stocks either. Have a ride on a few of those too, slightly more expensive but there is much more choice in components etc. But coming from moto trials you probably want a mod.

In the end your choice will come down to personal preferance.

Cheers zanneslover ive just spoke to a guy on MSN and he says a T-pro is my best option! with out trying other bikes

but still recommends that i try others first!

i think i will go for a T-pro to be honest but if i ride something and really like it that may change thanks for all the help you guys ill let you know what i end up with