Mac Help

nohpee°

hi

on my powerbook i have just downloaded google earth and it appeared on the desktop as a .dmg file which i deleted after moving the program to the dock and applications, whenever i open it a little disk icon and the .dmg file show up every time.

how can i stop this?

cheers

Just re-do it again.

Delete Google earth, as if it didn't ever exist.

Download the new DMG file. Open it up, drag that 'Google Earth' application to your App's folder.

Eject the drive, Delete the DMG and empty your trash.

Go to Applications, find Google earth, put it on your dock.

End of.

That should work fine.

hi

on my powerbook i have just downloaded google earth and it appeared on the desktop as a .dmg file which i deleted after moving the program to the dock and applications, whenever i open it a little disk icon and the .dmg file show up every time.

how can i stop this?

cheers

Whenever I have downloaded a dmg file, I installed the program and after it was installed I dragged the dmg file to the mac harddrive, and I have never had the icon apppear.

But what Nick Carter said sounds like it would work, and if that infact works, it would be better because it will use less disk space.

Matt.

Whenever I have downloaded a dmg file, I installed the program and after it was installed I dragged the dmg file to the mac harddrive, and I have never had the icon apppear.

But what Nick Carter said sounds like it would work, and if that infact works, it would be better because it will use less disk space.

Matt.

A .dmg is an archive file, basically like a .zip file - you're not supposed to run things out of them. When you mount the .dmg, you're not "installing" anything. You're just opening a folder, basically.

So open the .dmg, and that will mount the archive on the desktop. Then from in there, drag the program icon to anywhere else. The obvious choice is applications, but it will work from anywhere. And then after that you don't need to keep the dmg so you can delete it.

A lot of people seem to have problems with this system. It's really very easy but I guess it's not intuitive if you're used to Windows.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the second bit of the post. It sounds like what you did was drag the icon to the dock first. Dragging to the dock just creates a shortcut, so if your file is buried in the .dmg already, OS X will have to re-mount the .dmg and load it from there, which is slow and takes up too much space. You need to copy it to apps first, and then drag to the dock to make the shortcut (Y)

But that wouldn't be any fun now, would it?

But... nor was that ;)

Tomm,

What I did was, for instance with final cut, I acquired a dmg file then opened it on my desktop and installed all the different steps that were in the dmg. I did not drag anything into applications or anywhere else. Everything installed correctly, but instead of throwing away the dmg I just dragged it into the hard drive.

Was there an easier way to install this? Should I have draged it to applications?

With how I installed it can I throw away the dmg?

I know this is someone elses post, sorry for hijacking it.

Thanks for the help,

Matt.

What I did was, for instance with final cut, I acquired a dmg file then opened it on my desktop and installed all the different steps that were in the dmg. I did not drag anything into applications or anywhere else. Everything installed correctly, but instead of throwing away the dmg I just dragged it into the hard drive.

Was there an easier way to install this? Should I have draged it to applications?

If you've got through the correct installation process with 'installer' on OSX then you should be fine. Delete the .dmg file or put it somewhere safe if you have enough disk space. I usually keep the dmg's from Photoshop / Dreamweaver etc just incase they f**k up and IU need to re-install for any reason.

Saves me downloading them / installing them from the disk I bought ;)

You only need to drag a physical application to 'Applications' if it doesn't have an installer file within it. Most big files to, but applications like Limewire, Appleworks etc don't. Photoshop did. If you've got to buy it, it'll usually have an installation process, meaning it does all the work for you (Y)

And yeah. What Tomm made in bold is what I thought (Y)

Tomm,

Nah, in OS X there's two types of programs. Ones you can drag and drop in your apps folder, and others that you have to install in a way similar to WinXP, by double-clicking the installer icon. So what you did was right for Final Cut, because I assume that was an installer.

To answer you question - Yes, you can delete the .dmg if you like. You shouldn't have to use .dmg's day-to-day at all.

Ok, another mac question.

I have a G5 desktop, and I am haveing problems with my iTunes.

Everytime I start playing songs my whole computer freezes up, nothing works, I have to hold the power button in until it restarts.

This has happened to me alot, I have called apple and talked to ther tech guys about it, they told me to try reinstalling iTunes, which I did and it fixed it for about a week.

Then it happened again, and I called again they said to check the software updates which I keep up on, then the said that I should try reinstalling Tiger, because they said that may be it didn't install fully when I upgraded from panther, so I did and it helped for a couple of weeks, then back to the problem.

So it hasn't happened for a while until today.

While trying to fix it today I tryed checking for software updates, their were none, then I went to disk utility and repaired my disk premissions hoping that would help, so far nothing is working.

Has anyone had this problem?

Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?

Thanks for all the help,

Matt.