Bearing Busted

scazz

Hi guys

My back wheel wobbles side to side (not forks or bent rear hanger) at the hub. I've worn out a bearing in it. I have a 2005 T-bird.

My questions:

Why has this happened? How can I stop it happening?

Can I replace the bearing or do I need a new hub?

If I can replace the bearing, how do I do it, or should I take it to a bike shop?

If I need a new hub, what do you recommend? (I'm pretty pants and quite heavy + reasonably strong so weight isn't such a problem)

Cheers guys

Scazz

Hi guys

My back wheel wobbles side to side (not forks or bent rear hanger) at the hub. I've worn out a bearing in it. I have a 2005 T-bird.

My questions:

Why has this happened? How can I stop it happening?

Can I replace the bearing or do I need a new hub?

If I can replace the bearing, how do I do it, or should I take it to a bike shop?

If I need a new hub, what do you recommend? (I'm pretty pants and quite heavy + reasonably strong so weight isn't such a problem)

Cheers guys

Scazz

If it isnt a sealed hub your cones may be loose, if not i would replace it, when my monty hubs kept collapsing i went to a t-mag hub as my brothers is still goin at a few years. (Y)

Seem to be one of onza's better products

:bow:

Edited by monty221pr

hey do you have a 19" rear wheel as i have a spare i could sell to you for £25 posted if you want

no selling. Read the guidelines ;)

In all honesty I rode a bmx with 3 bearings missing and it still went fine. Have you checked the tightness of the spokes before you splash out on a new hub?

If you're adamant its the hub, I suggest upgrading your whole drivetrain to:

New cranks - maybe Tensile urban legends with a screw on 18t cog

Get a profile cassette hub B)

OR

Get the new echo hub and buy a screw on 12t cog for it

Im not familiar with the gear ratios on a T-bird but you should be running 18 on the front 12 on the rear or something similar

just service the hub and replace a few parts and sort out the cones and see how it goes. New bearing aren't much and it may be just that is what you need. So i suggest is doing the above and giving it a good clean and grease up! :D

Hope that helps

Ian Bloomfield

Might as well buy a sealed one, Its gonna do it again...