Balance

cindercone

Hello everyone my name is scott, i am from ontario canada.

I recently got back in to mountain biking ( I know its not trials but hear me out), i originally started with strictly XC but i am now getting in to a freeride/trials mix on my bike (2006 kona cinder cone, hence my name) I consider myself a pretty solid rider when i am moving anyways. I was simply wondering, when it comes to balancing on the back wheel, or performing a pedal hop is there any tips for practicing? Trashzen was very helpful in performing these stunts, but I am still a little hazy on how to practice them. Does anyone have any "trade" secrects when it comes to learning these stunts? I love hitting the streets (especially cause all the trails are so far away) but it gets a little frustrating when i almost break my ankle trying to pedal hop a curb :$ ......

great site, and any help is great!

Thanks!

--Scott

For balance, there really is no secret other than time and practice. Balance will come as you progress, but you could always try things like backhopping, then trying to stay on the back wheel for as long as you can, backhopping on a slab or within a small space and trying to stay there for as long as possible etc.

When pedal hopping forward, renember to let yourself fall forward just a little, otherwise you'll be trying to kick forward, but only the bike will move.

Alun

try putting your front wheel on somthin like a bench

then blance yourself while front wheel is on the bench

and the backwheel is on the ground

then leen back so your on your back wheel

then find a happy medium and keep practice

till you ve aced it (Y)(Y)

p.s if u find a bench is tooooo low

obviously find somthin higher

:P

try putting your front wheel on somthin like a bench

then blance yourself while front wheel is on the bench

and the backwheel is on the ground

then leen back so your on your back wheel

then find a happy medium and keep practice

till you ve aced it (Y)(Y)

p.s if u find a bench is tooooo low

obviously find somthin higher

:P

when I was learning trials everyone recomended that method :P but it didn't fit me at all. I liked to practice on the ground :)

but it's a very good method learning to contol the bike (Y)

When I was learning to hop forwards, I tried getting to the back wheel, then doing kinda mini-manuals. half pedal forwards along the ground, stop, half pedal ect.

Then eventally you can start pedalling a bit harder till you start to leave the ground!

If you can wheelie, this shouldnt be a problem!

Keeping your weight low (ie. crouching a bit) and staying loose helps a lot. Basically, be lazy and relaxed. tense = fall over

It'll take fegging ages before you can balance for more than a few seconds without any corrections - I know I can't do it.

Yeah, I broke the barrier on rear wheel hops when I learned to relax and get lower over the back tire. I had found that when the bike starts bouncing up, I should basically go limp in my wrist and arms and relax. I had tripled the amount of hops I could do because I would not fatigue as much. Also get a rythym going with the bounce of the tire. Let the tire do most of the work. Watch your goose neck and keep the frame perfectly straight under it.

I am still a begginer so I feel your pain. :angry:

Edited by Odinpalen

If you have tried using a raised surface e.g. (bench). Try rolling forward and doing a endo use the momentum of the back whell coming down to pull back and rock up onto the back wheel. This is how i learned to back hop and eventually as your balance gets better you will pick up forward hops naturally.

(Y) Mat

well i have been trying all the methods, and its seems i need to work on my balance and timing more. I can trackstand for days, but as soon as i put my front tire up on something and hit the brakes, down comes the foot! i guess i gotta loosen up and realize that falling over while not moving wont be nearly as painful as hitting a tree on some downhill singletrack!

but i can see myself progressing slowly, and i know it will probably take a little bit longer because of the type of bike i ride, what with the cushy front suspension and 20" frame!

but again thanks all from the help and i will continue to keep you posted (i know when i give someone tips on how to do something i like to know how they are progressing)

and if any one has any more tips, or "drills" to try postem up!

thanks

--Scott

Can you pedal kick/hop yet? If you can how did you learn and what methods did you use?

I am in the same situation as you, going from XC to trials only i now ride a mod. I am the same with trackstanding but when the front wheel is on something and brakes on foot comes down as you said.

I am using both the bench method and rocking into it method.

I have been told to start practicing going forwards with pedal kicks, as its more useful.

no i cant get the balance/timing to pedal kick/hop yet, I more or less do a small bunny hop forward when ever i try, wich, as you can imagine makes sure my rear tire does not land on the object but hits it.

i am using the same methods as you, I just wish trials was a little more popular in my area!

I actually watched your vid that you posted, it helped me know what it looks like to learn, the pros make it look to damned easy!

thanks to that vid i am a little more clear on how to get up on to that back wheel, i am up to almost one hop! :lol:

i know not to amazing, but its progress! And from that i can now see how i am going to pedal kick my bike.

so thanks for the help!

-scott

I ride alone also and its makes learning so dam hard! Glad i helped you with my 'video'.

Another help would be going to www.totalvid.com and downloading "Mastering the Art of Trials" by Ryan Leech for a small fee, a couple of dollars i think! It gives you a week's license to watch it. The video is very good in showing the techniques needed to learn and progress. Or you could buy the dvd, up to you. It is very helpful.

Good luck with the riding,

Scott (same names!) (Y)