Temping

Bluegrass

Hey all, A-Levels are outta the way and a year out between uni is upon me! So i've decided to do temping and get some money and 'experience'.

Has anyone gone through temping agencies before, office angels, sos recruitment etc (the main companies i can think of that you may know?)

How quick is the turn around from signing up and getting a call? I realise theres no set time scale but general advice would be coool, cheers (Y)

I've temped, i went through recruitment 2000. They were real quick, 1 week after i signed with them i had a job as a Mortgage Litigation Consultant. Thing is, they sent everyone there, i was working at the same place as about 15 people i knew which was cool and all but kinda took away from the meeting new folk part of a new job as i just hung about with my mates :unsure: .

My mates used them again when we got back from our trip and ended up at the same place with the same jobs.

Thats my experience with them, fast but it wasn't what i was really looking for although i just need cash so i put up with it. (Y)

We use them at work all the time, shitty jobs, shitty pay...but its temp so don't expect too much, obviously.

We use mostly foriegn workers (mostly Polish) and they're all sound, our company is based in Derbyshire but we use temps from Nottingham.

Where abouts do you live?

down in bournemouth. I imagine temps in an office job will be on a higher wage than say, working in Argos or something similar full time?

ps....i work in Argos, hense the example. Dont make me work there full time, i cant handle the pain, please, PLEASE!

Im working through a temp agency (OSR- its a local one) for a big insurance company. Its good because its nice and flexible unlike a full time job. Its only one weeks notice if you want to leave which is good but then it can work the other way and they can get rid of you quickly and easily. The average pay around my area (Norwich) is £5.50 for office work, although Im on £6.50 because Ive temped at the same place for a few years now. Bournemouth should be slightly higher though I'd imagibe so probably £5.50 - £6. I wouldnt want to work for any less than that really.

Be careful though as some agencies will try and take you for a ride as temps rights are a bit of a grey area/ not many people know the rules. You should be entitled to normal holiday pay once youve been there for 13 weeks I think- so dont let them try and fob you off about it.