Chains

bikerdude2006fr

Hey guys

Demo next sunday so i am looking to replace my year old kmc beforehand! The chain tension is absolute CRUMBS! so i would either have to get another kmc with a halflink or a halflink chain or a chain that has shorter links? Its for a koxx levelboss long mod

Cheers for the help guys (Y)

its for a mod! so i have the choice of cams and tugs (i have both) and the chain is too long, so i take a link out and its too short! too long = too far for the brakes and for tugs and cams, too short = axel right in the dropouts and the chain wont go together :S

So i need to sort that problem out and the chain is 1 year old so its probably a pretty good idea to change it :P

IDEAS GUYS!!!

the tensioners are all the way to the end and the brakes barely line with the rim and the chain is still slack! i have my snail cams on the little rectangular bit that you use to turn them because its longer and the chain is still uber slack! yeah the chain is probably stretched after a years use but im sure that even a new kmc wont give me the right length to be able to tension it right! are the khe chains like shorter for the same amount of links or something? or arent there any good half link chains? i have seen shadow conpiricy and another called reluctant! will any of these be strong enough? because halflinks will give me much better adjustability?

Never used a new chain on this frame so wouldnt know :S and spacemunkee what are you saying? that the shadow will be plenty strong enough? why would the khe be better? would i still need a half link?

EDIT: just realised!!! £25 for the shadow conspiricy!!!! and i need to get a special tool too!!! WTF???

Edited by bikerdude2004uk

Never used a new chain on this frame so wouldnt know :S and spacemunkee what are you saying? that the shadow will be plenty strong enough? why would the khe be better? would i still need a half link?

EDIT: just realised!!! £25 for the shadow conspiricy!!!! and i need to get a special tool too!!! WTF???

Yeah, Well over priced in my opinion and there not even all that great to be honist. I wouldent bother with one if i was you, they stretch on enough on Bmx's god knows what there like a Trials bike.

Edit: If I was you i would get a New Kmc Kool and then get in touch with (Krisboats) on here and ask him nicely for a Shadow half link, as he brought a whole Shadow chain just for 1 half link !

I'm sure he'll help you out, he's a top Bloke.

Edited by Ben Geary

No need for a special tool for them.. they are easier to put on that a standard chain in my opinion. On my frame the mounts were welded queer so that the chain was either too long and i couldnt tension it, the hub bolts would fall out the mounts before it tensioned or.. id take a link out and it would be too tight and couldnt get the chain on. So you need a half link to sort the distances out. Plenty of people run chains with a half link in them.. but id rather just have a full chain of them saves having one weak link ( some may say they all are). Ive had no trouble with mine anyways had it about 7 months

Cool (Y) cheers mate! looks like i will be forking out for one of those then!!! Bloody expensive thing :P so you used your normall chain tool? on the site it says that a bigger one is needed? oh well if my mtb one doesnt work i can always nick dads motorbike one :P

Cool (Y) cheers mate! looks like i will be forking out for one of those then!!! Bloody expensive thing :P so you used your normall chain tool? on the site it says that a bigger one is needed? oh well if my mtb one doesnt work i can always nick dads motorbike one :P

Yea they are piss to fit.. you only need to push the pin through one of the outer plates and the middle slides off so you can fi them super quick.

alex's shadow actually fell apart as he was riding along. TOP QUAL!!

um, why not file your dropouts so you have more adjustment?

Well i never thought that taking bits away from a frame would do it any good :S

Yea they are piss to fit.. you only need to push the pin through one of the outer plates and the middle slides off so you can fi them super quick.

Yeah thats the split link? i mean because the chain will be a little too long at first and will need to be shortened with a chain tool?