Fitting Forks

bikerider

Hi

Right forks turned up today, so I go to fit them in the bike, and then think I havn't thought this through. ..

When I cut the steerer length down, can i use the old star fangled nut out of there?

and when I cut the tube, if I fit the forks, and stem, and mark where the top of the stem is, how much below this should I cut?

The monty has an internal headset, I know there should be a spacer to fit in the top part of the headtube, but what about the bottom?

Thanks in advance

Dan

When I cut the steerer length down, can i use the old star fangled nut out of there?

from the old forks? yes - just bash it out and then bash it into the new ones

and when I cut the tube, if I fit the forks, and stem, and mark where the top of the stem is, how much below this should I cut?

a little bit below the top of the stem is ideal - you're better off erring on the long side cos you can always whack a spacer on top of the stem if it's a bit long - it'll take a bit of a ride to settle down and the steerer will probably get magically longer all by itself

The monty has an internal headset, I know there should be a spacer to fit in the top part of the headtube, but what about the bottom?

can't remember :D

Right:

• The star fangled nut can be re-used, but will probably slip, so its better to get a new one.
  • You should cut the steerer off around 5mm bellow the top of the stem when assembled.
  • There should be a crown-race pressed onto a raised area at the bottom of your forks, this can be taken off by hitting each side alternately with a flat-head and hammer, then pressed onto the new forks with a similar method.
Besides that, just look at how you took it apart and put it back together how you found it, but maybe with more grease.