Need Help

Sam Moore

All comes with practice as i'm sure you'll be told by loads of other people. (I can't even do 'em)

Ride along at about 5-8 MPH.

Lean forward and in a smooth motion rip the bars up and you should have the front wheel off the floor, if you can't keep it up keep trying at it (As i am currently)

When you feel your blanace point stop pulling up and get ready on the brake.

If you feel you're gonna fall back, press the brake and or lean forward a tad or be ready to fall on your arse. And vice versa if you're falling forward, lean further back.

Dunno if i explained it well but you can do nothing but practice it.

u need to find the 'balance point' controlling backward movements with the brake and forward movements with a 'pump' of the pedals. if u find the front wheel falling too much try and sin the pedals one revolution.

practice normal 'wheelies' first and u will find that controlling the balance point easy then move onto leaving back a little further and 'pumping' the pedals.

watch some videos of bmx or anyone on a 20" an u will see the motion they do (sort of moving arse closer to rear wheel and pulling up a little on bars) but on a 26" the motion isnt as obvious.

and above all PRACTICE! no matter how much a tit u look falling over the back of the bars!

forward movements with a 'pump' of the pedals. if u find the front wheel falling too much try and sin the pedals one revolution.

If you do it the way you're meant to do manuals pumping the pedals should be near impossible.

The 'propper' stance is arms fully extened and legs full extended. Using your knees, shoulders and elbows to shift your weight around to keep yourself balanaced.

Lil' tip: Make sure your rear tyre isn't as flat as a pancake, have it at about 23-25 psi, IMO this should be hard enough to manual on.

at first try it going up hill. because that will give you more confidence and you wont think about falling off the back as much. :-

the technique of manualling involves rolling along on ur back wheel.

so going up a hill is against gravity???

but learning to wheelie up a hill is easier but manualling makes it harder!

ok, im really bad at manuals but these things make me go further.

go fast - proper fast, not fag fast

bend knees and almost sit on the back wheel - the front should come up - if not, give it a bit of a pull

once you're up and rolling you'll find you need to start pumping to keep the front up/stop yourself falling off the back. To lift the front higher straighten your legs, to lower it bend your legs. don't do this unless you need to.

your arse is what keeps the front up - not your arms

don't look at your front wheel - keep looking where you're going, this makes you go further

do not use your brake - it's fine for people who're good at manuals but if you use it you'll never find your balance point and you'll be forever shit

i went to an indoor skatepark yesterday

and i was manualing down slopes really easy.

i can manual over a jump box, down it, then along the floor for a bit.

before i was rubbish at them

and in just one day ive improved quite a bit

watching the bmxs do them helped as well.

so.. go to a skatepark and practise on the jump boxes. 45 degrees ?

or any slope at 45 degrees ish.

caspa. (Y)

• 2 weeks later...