Samsung Camcorder

philking

Hi guys,

I have just bought myself a video camera second hand from a friend. It was a good buy, but rather an impulse buy. I have done some filming today and come home to upload it on to my computer. However, when the camera is attached to my computer and turned on nothing happens, the computer doesn't detect the camera and the camera doesn't detect the computer. I have to admit that i didn't check the compatability and i probably should of done given i am using a mac.

The camera is a Samaung VP-D230i and the computer is a G4 powerbook OS X 10.4.8. I have had a look through the instruction manual that came with the camera but i can't find anything about it in there. The only thing i can find is a thing about requirements saying Operating System : Windows 98SE, ME, XP, Mac OS (9.1-10.2). Now the fact it mentions mac in that makes me think it should be compatibile but i can't make it work. The only softwear that came with the camera is called DVC media 5.1 and is pretty useless.

So any ideas? Can i make it work or is it a lost cause? All help appreciated.

Thanks, Phil.

It will work I'm sure. You might need some software though. Have you got Adobe Premiere for the Mac? That is capable of capturing, and so is iMovie I think, although I've never used it. But your computer should have iMovie on it anyway, so try that.

Also how are you connecting it? I'm guessing firewire, but I'll just check. I don't think USB will work, if it's a mini-DV cam.

Yeah i am using firewire to connect it and i am using iMovie. Is there some way to tell iMovie to search for cameras attached? On my old camera you just plugged it in and it automatically detected it and said, "ready to import"... But with this one nothing happens and the computer doesn't seem to detect it in anyway at all...

Any idea what softwear i would need to download?

Yeah i am using firewire to connect it and i am using iMovie. Is there some way to tell iMovie to search for cameras attached? On my old camera you just plugged it in and it automatically detected it and said, "ready to import"... But with this one nothing happens and the computer doesn't seem to detect it in anyway at all...

Any idea what softwear i would need to download?

I don't know to be honest. I've never used a DV camera. But I'd be very surprised if you can't get it working. Have you read all the instructions for the camera, whether you have to switch it on etc? Also it might be worth looking on the Samsung website for some mac drivers for your camera.