Mac Os

Ben_OCP

Hey guys, gonna need some help here.

Well i've imported some footage in 16:9 PAL(widescreen) on pinnacle studio 9 on Windows XP. But after got my MacBook, i cant seem to view the footage properly on quicktime when using the mac 10 OS..It comes out as 4:3(normal) when i play it. And it looks really bad..Does anyone know whats wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Ben_OCP

normal is 4:3, but that's not important.

what resolution is it? it is possible that pinnacle used non-square pixels, i may be talking out of my arse but i think my camera did that too.

easiest way around it is to open it with VLC and select 16:9 as viewing aspect, or import the footage in a program like iMovie or Final Cut, and export it again.

Oops.. sorry typed it out too quicky, shall get it sorted..

Anyways movie info says the format is in DV, 720 x 576 (768 x 576)

Well even importing into imovie as a 'DV widescreen' project, it still plays in 4:3..

I've tried exporting it too. No luck there..any other ideas solutions people?

Thanks yea.

Edited by Ben_OCP

720x576 is indeed 4:3 when counting pixels.. a long shot, but try to find something to change the pixel aspect ratio, not the video aspect but the pixels.. cos that's the problem.

i'm sure there is some kind of stretch function in whatever software you wanna edit with, so import it into a widescreen project and just stretch it to fit.

should work ok, kind of.

I'm on slightly shaky ground because it's been a very long time since i did any broadcast video but like the man says I'd have thought it was that the original footage was recorded with non-square pixels (anamorphic I think they call it). you probably haven't lost any actual pixel data, it's just that you'll be seeing it all slightly squashed (It's hard to see the stretch between 4:3 and 16:9)

There's probably an import/export setting to take care of it if you're using semi professional type software but you'll get away with just stretching it cos nobody'll be able to tell the difference.