Shimano Un52 Bb... Any Good?

Matt_Zoot

I'm in need of a new bottom bracket and a mate of mine has been banging on about the Shimano UN52. He says they're really reliable. I've had a look on the net and they seem to be only a tenner posted! Are they really as good as he says and an excellent buy, or are they cheap for a reason?

Cheers

Matt (Y)

I've sworn by them for the last eight years, never yet broken one.

I have one for sale, a 68mm x 113mm if your interested, not that old bearings still wonderfully smooth and has a brand new left hand cup. Picture here with all my other stuff that's for sale photobucket link, after about £7 posted

Daniel

I've sworn by them for the last eight years, never yet broken one.

I have one for sale, a 68mm x 113mm if your interested, not that old bearings still wonderfully smooth and has a brand new left hand cup. Picture here with all my other stuff that's for sale photobucket link, after about £7 posted

Daniel

dyo know whether it will fit my bb size. if i use just freewheel and cranks? bog standard onza cranks . cheers

noticed you had Avid levers and a tesioner for sale, How much you looking for

tensioner a fiver plus postage, offer me for the levers - they're six years old and look it but still work well, I was using them untill about 8 months ago. Covered in scratches and the blades are bent a fraction downwards.

dyo know whether it will fit my bb size. if i use just freewheel and cranks? bog standard onza cranks . cheers

Not a clue mate, sorry.

The shell width is easy enough for you to measure yourself, just measure from the edges of the bottom bracket tube on your frame. It will be either 68mm or 73mm. As for axle length being enough that's a bit more tricky, if you search on the forum there's a list of axle widths for most mod and stock frames, failing that tell the forum what frame you have and see if someone else knows. You can get a rough idea by measuring the distance between the centre point of the crank arms where they're bolted to the bb but it's hard to say since different cranks seem to push different distances on to different bbs