Broken Chris King Bmx Hub

Zordon

Yesterday, when I was riding, suddenly the drivetrain started to behave like the chain or sprockets were about to break. When I was trying to pedal backwards there were huge frictions. I thought the chain was just improperly engaging a sprocket so I just used a bit more force and then something cracked. At the same time the rear wheel started wobbling like the axle was snapped.

I went back home and disassembled the hub. Some small metal bits and bearing balls came out from the hub interiors. I realized that one of the driveshell bearings (that located closer to the center of the hub) totally fell apart. Also the bearing leftovers made some small marks on the axle (in place where the bearing normally rolls on).

The hub is Chris King Bmx with disc conversion (hubshell replaced with a shell from isodisc). I'm gonna send it soon to be repaired (almost 4 years of warranty has left).

Anyone had similar problem?

That's weird, I've never heard of that before. I'd guess it was a fault in the material or workmanship anyway, rather than just heavy landings etc, so you should be able to get it repaired. Good luck, anyway.

I have never done a drop bigger than 1,2m with this hub, also no big other stuff. The only fault on my side I can find is that the wheel was not perfectly aligned with the frame/chain line, it was a bit closer to the left chainstays than to the right so maybe it could somehow change the forces distribution when engaging but i am sure a lot more people don't have their rear wheels completely in the middle between the frame stays. Hope i will have it repaired under the warranty (fingers crossed)...

I had this problem with with my classic king (26"). Sent it back to king, even though it took like 6 or 7 weeks it saved me a HUGE amount of money as they replaced EVERYTHING but the drive shell! (All free!, only cost me the original postage cost - like £16) Awesome company for warranty issues, just a real pain to send it half way round the world.

Since i moved back to 20" ive had another Chirs King, same as yours but i've not had any trouble with it other than my lockring comes undone every so often and the cog moves a tad each time so eventually its really out of place. This causes the chain to sometimes skip onto the cog, but as soon as i re-align the cog, the smoothness is really noticable as its running perfectly.

Ps. Where did you get your disc shell from and for how much?

Edited by jersey rider