Web Space

Concussion

Can anybody walk me through setting up an account with http://www.123-reg.co.uk/ please?

I want some web space to host a small site. Maybe two or more... ah forget that one!

I want a domain name ending in .com or .co.uk. (why is com more money? why do I have to pay for a name? I can understand paying for web space.)

I need these details for Dreamweaver to upload my work:

Access: FTP etc?

FTP host name

Login name

Password

I don’t need the headache I get when browsing the hosting site! :(

I have my site hosted at Tripod.com (free shit), and the only way I did that was by viewing a tutorial I have, and following exactly what I was told to do, but the adds are pissing me/people off!

Maybe I’m making a meal out of this, but I can’t suss it and my head hurts! People talk like its a peice of piss?I'm going for a lie down! :turned:

Thanks, hope someone can help me?

I've used 123-reg for my .com domain, but not for any webspace. Note that you do not have to buy webspace from the people you buy a name from. Generally speaking they will be poor value.

.com is more money because it is global top level domain. .co.uk is a secondary domain of the country-specific .uk top level domain, so there is less competition for them.

You have to pay for a name because there is a small amount of administrative cost/effort that the company who is registering it for you has to bear.

As for the hosting, you are better off finding another company for that as you'll get better value. Unfortunately I don't know of a good company, all my hosting comes free with my ISP package. Once you have a host (which will invariably offer FTP access unless it's a free one) you can go to the 123-reg control panel (having registered a name, of course) and change the nameservers to point to those for your hosting. If you are serious about having a website (as opposed to just experimenting with one etc.) don't use tripod.