Custom Built Revell Mod Bike

Deagon

I'm a relatively new Trials rider with more than 10 years bmx street/dirt riding experience. Spent the last 4 years being a lazy git and I now have the gut to show for it. When i was up at Fort William DH 2010, I saw several trials riders hoping across a rock course behind the massive TV. That + Destroyed Local Skatepark + Local Council that has a bulldozer obsession lead to me building this Trial Bike and starting the sport of kings. I honestly can't believe I wasted 10 years of my life bmxing. I now find that everywhere is a riding spot. :giggle:

Anyway, just wanted to see what you guys thought of my first mod.

DSC01012.jpg

DSC01013.jpg

Hand built 19" rear wheel with 'Brand New' Zhi ?? rim that arrived stupidly scratched and somewhat bent out of shape (all true now) from www.trials-uk.co.uk, 175mm anodized red spokes, Onza Sealed Bearing RHub, 16t 4pull generic freewheel, generic 140mm disk, 2.5" Maxxis Creepy Crawler and Clarks Clim8 six-piston hydraulic brake caliper.

DSC01014.jpg

Hand built 20" front wheel with 'Brand New' Zhi?? that arrived somewhat bent out of shape (all true now) from www.trials-uk.co.uk, 190mm old assed black spokes from my old bmx wheel (if you know of where I can get 190mm anodized red, please post), Onza Sealed bearing FHub with 10mm Hollow Axle, generic 160mm disk, mega old 2.215" Maxxis Daddy (off my old bmx front wheel) and Clarks Clim8 six-piston hydraulic brake caliper.

DSC01015.jpg

10mm Hollow Axle on front to try and save some weight :rolleyes:

DSC01016.jpg

Onza Fall Guy forks, Stronglight aheadset, Cheapy 180mm 'base' stem, Borla (uncut) MTB handle bars, cheapy clamp on grips, Clarks Clim8 Brake Levers.

DSC01017.jpg

Cable Tied Hoses of death, my frame has no cable mounts (N) or rear Magura Rim Brake Mounts :(

DSC01018.jpg

Old MTB FSA v-drive x Crankset with 22t inner chainring and grinded to get bashplate clearance, Wellgo plastic pedals with metal teeth and

crappiest bashplate on the planet, thing is made of the cheapest possible mixture of what revell laughingly call 'metals'. Thing has been bent out of shape soooo many times (anyone know of a Bplate that can fit this frames weird assed mounts? Echo Sl guard looks pretty close but cant get measurements to check from online.)

DSC01019.jpg

Random Stickfigs sticker for the front :lol:

DSC01022.jpg

Edited by Deagon

Hand built 19" rear wheel with 'Brand New' Zhi ?? rim that arrived stupidly scratched and somewhat bent out of shape (all true now) from www.trials-uk.co.uk, 175mm anodized red spokes, Onza Sealed Bearing RHub, 16t 4pull generic freewheel, generic 140mm disk, 2.5" Maxxis Creepy Crawler and Clarks Clim8 six-piston hydraulic brake caliper.

Nice frame, havn't seen one of those for a while! Loving it.

One thing I will say though, have a search through the forum for reasons not to buy from Trials-UK. Theres various topics about them/him, stay clear!

:)

@Trials Punk:

Thanks for the pointer. I definitely learnt my lesson with the rims. I bought them several months back, before his site went down and i knew any better. They advertised free postage in mainland UK so i got charged £5 for postage automatically and completely ignored when i emailed about that. Done a little search of the website and found these forums i think, with people basically saying they either never got or got something else or item was burst. When the rims finally arrived wrapped in bubble wrap about 2 weeks after i ordered, they were both basically shaped like a pringle crisp and the rear one scratched deeply on one side. The bubble wrap was undamaged, none of the bubbles burst so it clearly wasn't done in transit. However, being a wheel builder i knew the rims were ok to be built and would straighten out just fine. I'm extremely glad i actually got them at all, I spent two weeks waiting and thinking i was never going to get and that i'd need to get the bank on their case. I'll certainly never buy from their again.

@Monkyseemonkeydo:

Yeah, i've seen those. What are they like to ride with? I think (but don't really know) the bike will have a tendency to roll to one side landing on ledges and stuff. I'm actually saving my pennies for Echo SL 09 cranks and will certainly consider a Bashring. The Bashplate is just awful, it's almost like it's made of cardboard and I can't seem to find a replacement that will fit my frame anywhere either.

@Monkyseemonkeydo:

Yeah, i've seen those. What are they like to ride with? I think (but don't really know) the bike will have a tendency to roll to one side landing on ledges and stuff. I'm actually saving my pennies for Echo SL 09 cranks and will certainly consider a Bashring. The Bashplate is just awful, it's almost like it's made of cardboard and I can't seem to find a replacement that will fit my frame anywhere either.

Yes, the bike will have a tendency to lean if you try to balance on the bashring, although if you ride left foot forward this is far less of an issue. The trick of course is not to use it at all! The ring/plate should be there to protect things in the event of coming into contact with something, and it's always good to avoid using it if you can.

The bashplate is based on what the Megamo's used to run and I don't think anyone makes anything which would be a direct replacement. On mine the rear mounts got pushed up into the chainstays and on one frame resulted in snapping the stay, the other one dented after a few rides at which point I returned the frame to Revell and bought a Zoo Python!

Very nice! One thing though, are you not using a starnut and topcap? And what's the 140mm rotor like on the back?

Nah, it's was a feeble attempt to save a little weight but the starnut is so light it barely makes a difference. Once the forks, headset and stem are pulled tight buy the starnut...it's not really needed, provided that your stem is on tight enough and there is no grease or crap on the steerer where the stem attaches

Sorry, had to rush for the bus and didnt answer everything you asked. The 140mm disk on the back is ok. It hasn't crunched up or buckled under backward braking so far, which is what I would have expected. The disk itself is just a cheapy one from ebay, around £6. i'd still rather have a rim brake on the rear since I've banged the disk more than a couple of times, but it's not actually that bad. Both brakes are stupidly powerful with the 6 piston calipers, you literally can't feather them.