Aged 34 Just bought a trials bike, saying hello.

CMH

Hello, i'm 34 and just picked up a trials bike. The last bike I had was a DMR trailstar with 26" mavic 521's and magura hs33's. That was in 2000 when we all had seats! The bike I've bought is a 2013 onza bird, it has 20" wheels and no saddle, surprisingly it has v brakes. Any upgrades I should look out for? What's the best thing to practice early days? Are skate parks any good for practice?

I'm in Wiltshire, would be fun to meet up.

Well I've been out for the first time tonight on it, you have to proper get your ass back to manual the thing! Feels real odd when I've only ridden 26". Going to try to hop on it tomorrow. The gears feel so light, like being in 2nd or 3rd on a mtb. 

Welcome to the forum! Skate parks with street sections would be okay, something like a grind box would be ideal, but transition will be sketchy to ride on a trials bike.

Did you ride any trials before ?

Check out these tutorials, they should get you some ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdHBldOr3pE

http://www.trashzen.com/sitemap.php

Yeah rode street trials back in about 98' to 00'. Thought I was pretty good but nothing compared to what I see you lot doing. Used to jump gaps, ride steps and stuff. Hop over big obstacles. Eddie Tongue was just becoming big on pashleys, and of course martin and martyn were rocking the indoor arenas after their success with dirty tricks and cunning stunts.

• 1 month later...

Congrats Man, It will be always a good excitement to buy any new stuff and buying Bike is is real adventure, I got my first bike at the age of 17, me and my Girl friend used to ride down the mountain for long. But I suggest please keep necessary protection with you because some times you are break with your bike and no help around so please go with all accessories.

All the Best