Did I break this crank?

NINJА

Hello, guys! Help me please to solve this problem.

Today I was assembling my bike after approx half a year brake and when I was tightening a left pedal (maybe a bit too much force was applied..) this steel insert with thread have moved! WTF? I dismounted that pedal and setted it up again and it seems OK, but..

Is it really BAD?  That cranks (race face chester) just 4 months old!

What is the worst scenario for that problem? Not being able to dismount a pedal (if this steel insert would move together with pedal axle)? Or that crank may broke in that place? (because if it's moving even a bit it's bad and causing play and damage, isn't it?)

2.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by NINJА

if you've damaged the alloy that the insert sits in then it'll crap out on you soon enough.. remove the assembly and check the threads for bits of alloy or damage. if it all looks fine you might still wanna take it to your lbs or contact raceface for warrenty or whatever.

Just now, ogre said:

if you've damaged the alloy that the insert sits in then it'll crap out on you soon enough.. remove the assembly and check the threads for bits of alloy or damage. if it all looks fine you might still wanna take it to your lbs or contact raceface for warrenty or whatever.

The threads are absolutely OK. This steel insert have moved a bit, while it must not move. I think it pressed in the crank.. like a riveting maybe..

I think I have no warranty because I bought it from random local rider. But anyway I think this is unacceptable in terms of quality. I have used many cranks, even cheap Chinese ones and never had any problems like this..

I've used cranks with inserts on mountain bikes before. In my experience the insert is there to protect the crank itself. The idea being that if you damage the threads you are only damaging the insert and not the cranks themselves, therefore you can just replace the insert and not the whole crank = much cheaper. Just tighten the insert back in and you should be fine. Maybe use some threadlock

1 hour ago, JamieC said:

I've used cranks with inserts on mountain bikes before. In my experience the insert is there to protect the crank itself. The idea being that if you damage the threads you are only damaging the insert and not the cranks themselves, therefore you can just replace the insert and not the whole crank = much cheaper. Just tighten the insert back in and you should be fine. Maybe use some threadlock

This insert is pressed into a crank. There are only one thread - for pedal axle. So.. maybe I need to hammer(press) it a bit.