Street/jump Frames - Opinions Please

TomR

Right, as some of you may or may not know i packed in trials a couple of years ago and sold my bike. Well, now i wanna get a dual bike to use for street, blasting around, a bit of fun and practical riding.

Ive found a site with a Mk1 trailstar for £150 brand new and was thinking about that, but chain reaction cycles has some 2002/2003 DS1s for not much more.

Which one do you think id be better off with. I'm thinking about a 14" (hence the trailstar), i know it may be a bit low but i think the 16" might get in the way a bit when im having a blast around on it.

How stiff are the stays on both frames? As quite frankly, i cant stand shit brakes. Fail in that are there any new boosters about these days? (i'm a bit behind on the ol' bike gear now!) Ive got some V's but i'll probably go maguras at somepoint, unless anyones got a cheap XTR V brake going!

EDIT: One more thing, what's the trailstar like for trye clearance?

Cheers, and sorry for the essay!

Tom.

Edited by planetxpimp

Having owned both i'd say the trailstar. I prefer the ride of steel anyway so that would be the main thing but it feels far more stable (with the same kit -130mm forks etc) in the air and its better from the gate if you ever wanted to race.

The back end of the Azonic is flexy as hell, i ran a carbonique booster with a maggie and ended up buyind a disk for the back it was so bad.

The trailstar is far less flexy- wouldn't even need a booster with it.

As for tyre clearance i only run a 1.85 on a 24 but with a 26 i reckon you could get a 2.6 at the most but theres no point having such a big tyre in a hardtail anyway.

Theres more clearance on the DMR than the Azonic.

I think thats answered everything (Y)

DS1 deffo i've had the trailstar and i didnt like it feels to high almost like an xc bike if thats what you want yeah go for it, the DS1 is a lower back end more for jump.

As for the color check the dmr website maybe?

Also ever thought of looking at the On One Gimp verry nice frame and for like £200 brand new (Y) second hand your talking £100ish

Right, well ive bought a DMR sidekick in black. I didnt see the point in paying an extra £100 more than the DMR for an azonic when its just for a bit of fun, im not gonna be riding it 24/7 like i used to.

Now... FORKS!

Rockshox Judy SL, Pilot XC, Pilot SL, Psylo XC(possibly) or Marzocchi 2005 drop offs.. ive looked at the specs and im none the wiser on whats better.. they all seem reasonably similar.. and are within £30 of each other (apart from the Psylo's) - So whats most suitable? And more importantly.. why?

Thanks again, Tom.

looked at mx comps? they are great forks :) and come in 80, 100 and 130 :D you can adjust the air presure to make them stiffer too

psylos are ok, not tooo bad-bit flexy and soft-springs are expensive too-the internals are a bit cheesy(as in the viz/koxx cheese metal lol)

i would steer clear of manitou forks too, they have plastic internals (Y) not good for hardcore fun :D

get marzocchi everytime i reckon-tough, reliable, good looking (excpet for the dirt jumper range (Y) )

I have a sidekick and I've run marzocchi exr pro forks and dirt jumper 3's. Both felt nice but the dirt jumpers made the front end feel really heavy. I would agree with trying mx comps in 100mm as the sidekick is designed for forks up to 100mm.

Hope this helps. (Y)

Cool cheers, How do the rockshox pilots/judys compare with them though? To be honest id prefer but rockshox but obviosuly if theyre below par then i wont.

Any other suggestions and siteS? Im going but whats in that price range on CRC

Yeah, i kinda wanted to avoid air forks but they seem to be quite popular.

Theyre the only bombers ive seenin my price range really, that or some 2005 drop offs, can i assume theyre the z1 drop offs or what? it didnt have any other info, or a picture.

Hehe, or my finger :shifty:

I need a headset, chainring and some cranks too, jeez this is adding up!

Oh, and are there any nice and tight SS tensioners like the DMR tension seeker? Preferable cheaper! :P

Edited by planetxpimp

get a ds1...i wish i didnt crack mine (landed flat at the bottom of a step jump after 4 years of hammering it)

my trailstar bent...there heavy as fek and aint that nice....

ds1...if your doing dual, you dont need brakes...they only slow you down.....ds1, single speed, profile cranks, 321 on front on a xt shit hub, 521 on a revolver, dx v brake(rear) some form of steering and you have one real light dual race bike that can take a pounding.....

ds1 ds1 ds1 ds1!!!!!!