How To: Remove Isis Cranks

TomR

How to:

Remove a pair of ISIS cranks using a crank puller designed for a square taper BB.

What you’ll need:

Crank Puller (Designed for use on Sq Taper cranks/BB’s)

8mm Allen key

Bolt or washer – see below for info on size

16 & 18mm open ended spanners (or an adjustable)

The problem you’ll encounter when removing ISIS cranks with a tool designed for square taper cranks is pretty simple, the diameter of the axle is much larger and the end of the tool goes straight through the hole in the axle as opposed to pushing against it, which in turn pulls your cranks off.

Method 1:

With the 8mm allen key, remove the crank bolt on the side you wish to remove (If you’re removing both, remove the side you’re doing first and make sure you leave the bolt in the other side. When it comes to doing the other side just replace the bolt on the opposite side).

Find a long bolt, less than the Dia. of the hole in your axle & roughly the same length as your BB axle width (minus a few mm for the bolt that’s still in the other end). Put it down the hole, It should come to round about the same place as the end of the axle.

post-43-1168368450_thumb.jpgpost-43-1168368478_thumb.jpg

Insert the tool as usual by screwing the lower part into the threads on the crank, then tighten the top part down, assuming you’ve used a wide/strong enough bolt, it should press against it and remove the crank arm like it’s supposed to.

post-43-1168368506_thumb.jpgpost-43-1168368518_thumb.jpg

Method 2:

Assuming you can’t find a long enough bolt or other suitable bit of metal to fill the hole for method 1, get a decent width washer which Dia. is less than that of the splines on the crank arm, but larger than that of the hole in the axle.

Stick it down with a blob of grease, blu-tack or whatever else is to hand, then proceed as normal.

post-43-1168368543_thumb.jpgpost-43-1168368551_thumb.jpg

You can all thank me for saving you £6 or so for another crank tool later.

• 2 months later...
It costs me 5p everytime I take my cranks off...but I have the comfort of smashing the queens face in.

Anyways, good topic :D

5p coins are too small for FSA BBs and maybe some others (which use M14 rather than the normal ISIS M12 I believe) - I found that out the hard way with a 5p jammed in the threads :P

But yeah, coins do work. I've got a little metal thing that came with a BB, it just sits in place the same way as a washer but it's a lot stronger. Not sure where you can get them from though. I like the long bolt idea, that's probably better than any other bodge (Y)