Argh Firewire

Walleee

After waiting for what seemed like ages for my pcmcia card to come through I realised it doesn't even f**king fit. Due to the fact that dell are gayo's I have to get an 'express card' to fit my machine, now these are £25 at the cheapest, and i've already spent a tenner and time waiting on the one which is of no use.

Will this allow me to take footage from my Camcorder onto my pc through usb or must I have a firewire card??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-2-0-1-1-TO-IEEE-...1QQcmdZViewItem

I'd obviously rather just buy that than a whole new card, selling the one I have which is no use will cover the cost of the above item....

Digitally, I'm skeptical of this and don't think it will work. I don't think it's quite as simple as getting a cable that matches up the pins.

You would probably have to do a lot of messing about on the PC side to attach a Firewire device through a usb port. Plus, if your computer is only USB1.0 i can guarentee it will not work with your camcorder, as the data transfer speed is well below that of firewire, and the camcorder will not be designed to deal with throttling the transfer (jumping back and forward on the tape, transfer buffer, etc).

So, analogue summary is, I'd sell the card and buy a proper firewire card.

Edited by Extreme_biker0

Auction says 'Data Transfer Rate Speeds up to 400 Mbps'

The card also has the same speed, and I only got the laptop a few months ago so i'm sure it is usb 2........

Im starting to convince myself that a cable on it's own will be fine, my only concern is that I know WMM looks for a 'capture device' when importing video, is a firewire card required as a 'capture device' or is that referring to the camcorder itself???

Auction says 'Data Transfer Rate Speeds up to 400 Mbps'

The card also has the same speed, and I only got the laptop a few months ago so i'm sure it is usb 2........

Im starting to convince myself that a cable on it's own will be fine, my only concern is that I know WMM looks for a 'capture device' when importing video, is a firewire card required as a 'capture device' or is that referring to the camcorder itself???

A capture device is simply a device which windows sees as video. So a tv tuner, or a usb webcam fits this description. It is not limited to firewire connected devices at all.

Buy the cable, but don't say uncle Extreme_biker didn't warn you not to take shortcuts ;-)

I appreciate your help, you mentioned about having to mess about with the pc to get a firewire device to work with a usb port but as sheenan says generally these sort's of things are plug and play and with an actual reason as to why it won't work im not in a position to spend the extra cash :(

but yeh, thanks to the both of you, i'll let you know ow i get on...