Hope Mono Trials

_Owen.

hi there, i now ride a monty 221pr, and was thinking about going double disk, i have my front sorted, but not sure wether or not to go for a mono trials for the rear. I guess i am looking for reccomendations, has onyone got a mono trials on the rear, and how does it perform?? any help will be greatly appreciated (Y)

They are a trials specific brake so i see no problem with running one the rear - please correct me if i am wrong but i have read on here that the avid bb7s on the rear explode! :blink: So if it is true i would stay away from one of them.

i think a mono should be fine, you may want to take a look at them hope/try-all disc's they seem rather nice but may be a bit expensive

Liam (Y)

cheers mate. but those echo brakes are trials specific and i have herd they are terrible, so i was just checking with people that have used the hope that they are decent. cheers for your fast reply (Y)

Edited by owentrialsman

They are a trials specific brake so i see no problem with running one the rear - please correct me if i am wrong but i have read on here that the avid bb7s on the rear explode! :blink: So if it is true i would stay away from one of them.

i think a mono should be fine, you may want to take a look at them hope/try-all disc's they seem rather nice but may be a bit expensive

Liam (Y)

cheers mate. but those echo brakes are trials specific and i have herd they are terrible, so i was just checking with people that have used the hope that they are decent. cheers for your fast reply (Y)

Sounds like both of you have heard a load of shite to be honest.

Those Echo Brakes are mint, the only annoying thing is that they don't have loctite on the grub screw to hold the lever in. Other than that they are better than maggys in almost every way.

Nothing wrong with BB7s. Blow Up? What like a bomb? Bollox.

I would get a hope on the back. Just personal preference, loads of people swear by bb7s, they are lighter on the lever and much grabbier than hopes.

As a newbie could someone please explain to me the reasons a lot of people prefer the front disc and rear rim brakes over a dual disc set up? What are the pros and cons as I will shortly be building a bike up and need all the info I can get :unsure:

As a newbie could someone please explain to me the reasons a lot of people prefer the front disc and rear rim brakes over a dual disc set up? What are the pros and cons as I will shortly be building a bike up and need all the info I can get :unsure:

So many reasons but one of them is if you have a rear disc on a mod it really wouldn't last long with side hops.

(if you hop to the left , Like me) :(

A rear rim brake is more instant, when you lock the wheel an hop on the back wheel it feels solid, whereas with a disc you can feel the spokes flexing. You can also have a firmer lever feel with a rim brake, and the make a proper noise.

A rear disc offers more modulation, which makes it easier to manual etc.

Generally speaking, most Natural/Competition riders on mods run DD, whereas virtually all street riders run rim brake.

DD require less messing with, no grinding, less frequent pad changes and the pad stops adjust with wear, whereas on rim brakes you have to re-adjust your pads manually.

People will say that a maggy or vee set-up is less expensive than a disc, which is bollox. You have to by posh pads, a booster, new rims after a few grinds etc, so they work out about the same in the end.

I would go DD if I were you, but only on MOD, they stretch the spokes to much on Stock. Go MOD. Go DD. You will need a big budget though.

Thanks for the replys and sorry for Hi-jacking the thread a bit!

I am going stock but thanks for the explantations very helpful (Y) looks like a good set up for what I want may be front disc and rear Maggy, I intend riding natural sections more than street riding.

Thanks for the replys and sorry for Hi-jacking the thread a bit!

I am going stock but thanks for the explantations very helpful (Y) looks like a good set up for what I want may be front disc and rear Maggy, I intend riding natural sections more than street riding.

lol robbed. no worries matey, but does anyone have any reccomendations on the hope?? cheers