Camera Help

Nick Garland

Right today I got a Sony DCR-HC37E camera, takes mini dv tapes, not that this makes a difference. Now I know its not native widescreen however it has wide mode.

Correct me if I am wrong here, in PAL 16:9 widescreen mode is for example 720 x 480. This camera record in 720 x 756, standard 4:3.

When captured onto the computer and in VLC, if recorded in widemode, it plays in 4:3 and the image is squished, however if you change the aspect ratio to 16:9 it is fine and looks like it should, not stretched etc just a normal file.

I then went to Premiere Pro 1.5, chose the DV Widescreen setting for the project. I captured it in this and it captured it again in 4:3 needing it to be changed to 16:9 for it to look normal.

Providing the above made sense were doing ok.

Now I think the reason this is going wrong might be because if the pixel aspect ratio. In Premiere pro there are a few options, when selecting the project details, it keeps the resolution the same of 720 x 576 but changes the pixel aspect ratio. Under PAL Widescreen, it sets this pixel aspect ratio to 1.44 where as on standard 4:3 the ratio is only 1.067

Right if the above made sense does anyone know how I can capture from the camera in 16:9, perhaps if I set custom settings this would solve the problem? Any ideas anyone?

If this didnt make sense, say so and I will try better to explain.

I'm guessing that it's probably an option on the camera, the aspect ratio would most likely be set prior to recording rather than capturing the video in the squished format like you say. I only half understand what you're getting at, but I can appreciate where you're coming from.

Also, 720px x 480px is not a 16:9 ratio, it's a 3:2 ratio.

Edited by mikedeere

Yea its 720 x 480 in NTSC and 720 x 576 in PAL.

I have set the camera to record in widescreen mode, buts its not a native widescreen camera, it just whacks 2 black lines top and bottom which doesnt bother me to be honest. Just when capturing to the PC it does it in 4:3 and sqeezes the image, yet change the aspect ratio to 16:9 in VLC and it looks perfect like a true 16:9 camera would.

Right today I got a Sony DCR-HC37E camera, takes mini dv tapes, not that this makes a difference. Now I know its not native widescreen however it has wide mode.

Correct me if I am wrong here, in PAL 16:9 widescreen mode is for example 720 x 480. This camera record in 720 x 756, standard 4:3.

When captured onto the computer and in VLC, if recorded in widemode, it plays in 4:3 and the image is squished, however if you change the aspect ratio to 16:9 it is fine and looks like it should, not stretched etc just a normal file.

I then went to Premiere Pro 1.5, chose the DV Widescreen setting for the project. I captured it in this and it captured it again in 4:3 needing it to be changed to 16:9 for it to look normal.

Providing the above made sense were doing ok.

Now I think the reason this is going wrong might be because if the pixel aspect ratio. In Premiere pro there are a few options, when selecting the project details, it keeps the resolution the same of 720 x 576 but changes the pixel aspect ratio. Under PAL Widescreen, it sets this pixel aspect ratio to 1.44 where as on standard 4:3 the ratio is only 1.067

Right if the above made sense does anyone know how I can capture from the camera in 16:9, perhaps if I set custom settings this would solve the problem? Any ideas anyone?

If this didnt make sense, say so and I will try better to explain.

Oh man... if you had a Canon... I could have helped. Im Canon obsessed.