Disc Problem

Bearded Midget

i have recently upgraded my front wheel and i have an avid bb5 disc brake that i baught of a friend for 5 quid :P

i baught a new lever in hope i would get a better pull and a better hold, i admit its better, but still has a really bad hold until i put water on it,

does anyone know how i can make it better(without putting water on it)? more bedding in,(i only spent 5 minutes) or a thicker cable?

any ideas?

1, FInd a big hill.

2, get a bottle of water.

3, ride down the hill, with the brake on, but not locked.

4, get halfway down. STOP

5, pour half the water on the disk and it should make steam.

6, carry on to the bottom of the hill as in 3

7. get to the bottom and pour the rest of the water onto the disc.

should be donw

(point 8 use the search) lol

1, FInd a big hill.

2, get a bottle of water.

3, ride down the hill, with the brake on, but not locked.

4, get halfway down. STOP

5, pour half the water on the disk and it should make steam.

6, carry on to the bottom of the hill as in 3

7. get to the bottom and pour the rest of the water onto the disc.

should be donw

(point 8 use the search) lol

now it didnt make steam when i did it, so i will give this a good go.

and for number 8, well if you were using this computer you wouldnt bother searching, mainly because it takes about 2 minutes to load each page every time you click a link :P but i have never seen a topic before like this so i just made one :P . but i will search in future!

it is also difficult to search for an exact answer to a question like this lol.

Anyway, i don't think i've seen a genuinly new question on this forum for a few years!! It's all been asked before lol.

Try boiling the pads on the stove, the heat will lift any oil out of the pads and then the oil will float on top of the water. do it for a couple of minutes and then let it cool down. Get a cloth and wipe the oil from the surface of the water, then remove the pads and bed them it again.

Failing that, new pads.

I've found that to really bed in the disc you have to ride around for a fair while dragging it (yesterday I did about 500 yards dragging the brake) and then chuck water on it. Should be a fair bit of steam and hissing coing off it. I have to do this pretty much every time I ride to get the brake working, but then it usually works for the rest of the day.

Also, have you zip tied the cable to the fork? If you have try running it without the zip tie, just haning free; the less kinks or diversion of the cables natural path the better. Or failing that, an oddysey linear slic cable will work wonders. Just for your reference, I run:

Front: Xtr Lever, BB7 caliper, 185 Hope Mono M4 rotor, Clarkes cable.

Rear: Xtr Lever, BB7 caliper, 203 Hope Mono M$ Sawtooth, Linea Slic Cable.

Rich

Best way to bed disks in i found is to just ride it and dont do anything, i never have to put water on before a ride and my bb7 works great. If you do the way by dragging brake and put water on you run the chance of glazeing the pads and making your brake worse.