Tax

froggy

awiiiiteeeeeee,

on my payslip I've been deducted £400 for tax this month alone which is a third of my wages, so as you can imagine I'm pretty f**king pissed off.

the thing is I haven't worked this year because I've been away in australia the last year playing a didgeridoo and shit.

When I started work I handed in my P60, P45 and P46 from the last year I was working there (I'm working for the same company I worked with before I left country). Yet they have put me on an emergeny tax code (BR1). Which I don't understand as this is my first period of employment since the tax year begun.

Could the money I earnt whilst working in Australia effect this in anyway?

I don't know what to do, I'v spoken to the admin staff at work but they can't do anything about it as it's all done from a head office who haven't answerd the phones all day:S

Yeah, you can get it back if you're not supposed to be paying it.

I would have thought that you'd have paid Australian tax when you were in Aus? So I would guess you would start fresh when you got here but I don't know. Call your local tax office, they're usually pretty helpful. Either way, you're supposed to be paying the tax (and you can't avoid it), or you'll get it back. So don't worry. Just make sure you fill in the appropriate forms etc.

Im pretty sure if you call them up and tell them your current wage and how you shouldn't be paying that much, on your next payslip you will get a reduction in tax (not a refund). I started on the emergency tax code and one month it just drastically fell to a normal rate.