Dual Disc! On One Lever

1handedluke

if i wer you, i'd run dual hope trials off one lever, the lever wont pull to far, as the return is govourned by the lever, not the pistons. however, the disc will probarbly rub slightly more than usual, but if you set them up really well, it shouldnt be a problem.

Please don't get hydro brakes, it just won't work properly. Double 8" BB7's set up with minimal drag (both pads touching the disc) and a bmx lever with an extended lever blade, you can't go wrong with that and it will be super powerful!

I agree with that.

Inur Posted Today, 04:19 PM

Please don't get hydro brakes, it just won't work properly. Double 8" BB7's set up with minimal drag (both pads touching the disc) and a bmx lever with an extended lever blade, you can't go wrong with that and it will be super powerful!

1st off, it wouldn't work with a bmx lever, because they don't pull as much as mountain bike lever, plus if i was going to go double discs i'd need a new frame etc, which seems a waste of money atm as i just got this mint adamant and no one seems to want to swap :(, but it could get it working with a normal avid lever i would just extend the lever, and use the cable spliiter that i posted up earlier. because if i use double disc, it would be twice as stiff to pull as a normal brake, so i'd have to double the lever power to double the strength! see the big problem here is that i'm going to need new wheel sets and a new frame :( which all costs money that i haven't got atm!

a magura piston is 12-13mm, if you double the diameter it will become 19mm, so this 18mm lever should work just as well as one magura lever on one brake(doubleing the lever size for 2 brakes) , of course the lever has also been extended if you look, so this should in theory work just as well as the normal magura! as the diameter is twice as big it will be pushing twice the amount of water per square inch! i've ordered the lever, so if this doesn't work then ill try double cable discs :D, if someone could explain better what im trying to explain then please do :D

Edited by 1handedluke

Presumably, if you're using one lever, you need to think about which brake engages first. If you used a cable disc and one brake engaged a lot before the other, the other one wouldn't ever come on. Which would be bad. But BB7s have the red adjusters and everything so it would probably be pretty easy to see them up so they both come on at the same time.

Alternatively, by using a closed brake system like maguras, it won't really matter which brake engages first. So that sounds like a decent option.

I'm not convinced that you've done your sums right, though. If you are saying that a a magura piston is 12mm diameter, you'd get DOUBLE the surface area with a 17mm piston - sqrt(2(12^2)). But the 18mm piston is pretty close to 17mm so it may work, perhaps it would be slightly more wooden. If you make a longer lever, it ought to work well.

What set-up are you running on the rear? Idealy you want it to be as stiff as possible to transfer pleanty of power to the front, otherwise it'll just let the front move. Braided hose, heatsink/echo control booster, denge CNC clamps, koxx browns ect ect...

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...