First Things To Learn To Get Into Trials

dinobike

Hi

as title, what is the first thing i should really learn. I have watched loads of videos of people wwho can get on the back wheel and hop on it but when i try my front wheel just comes in and out towards my body instead of the whole bike hopping. Any tips and is there a how to video as that would be great

many thanks

dino

first things to learn is back wheel control and overall control of the bike

after that the world is your oyster

lol

best thing to do would be find a ledge a few feet high and balance your front wheel on it, use this to just hop on the spot and eventually move away from the ledge, this shuld help quite alot

Hi

thanks

how do you mean front wheel control, also do you think i need to lean back a bit more as my front whel hardly stays up, any other ideas of what i could do anyone?

thanks

dino

lol yeh i should say so

its mainly to do with balancing, try and find the balancing point as best you can and you should stay up like a cobra!

Hi

as title, what is the first thing i should really learn. I have watched loads of videos of people wwho can get on the back wheel and hop on it but when i try my front wheel just comes in and out towards my body instead of the whole bike hopping. Any tips and is there a how to video as that would be great

many thanks

dino

The Trashzen website is great, helped out a load of riders. Halfords sells dirty tricks and cunning stunts which is a good little video on how to ride. Ryan leech also has a dvd explaining how to ride... the majority of it being here

to help with backwheel control, you could do things like

do a sequence of thing like- pedal hop> static backwheel hop x2> pedal hop> static x2 etc

and just mix it up a little

use your own style and keep practising, it also helps to ride with people who are pretty good and can help point stuff out like leaning back more etc

hope this helps a little

Can you trackstand and rock back and forth (basically stay in one spot).

The way I learnt to backhop was to ride forward, pull the front brake and do a small endo, then as the back wheel comes back down, hold the back brake and lean back pulling back on the bars to bring the front up. As you come back have your knees bent and extend them as you come up to the balance point to hop.

Try looking on www.trashzen.com for more techniques. As someone else said, Ryan Leach, The Art of Trials is a good DVD for basic and more advanced skills.

i taught myself back wheel control from doing wheelies although that dosent really help as many bikes no longer have saddles. the endo technique also seems to ring a bell and sounds a good idea

hi

this sounds a bit stupid but how do you pedal hop, still cannot do it.

please help

many thanks

DINO

Did you look at the link i posted, and that was repeated in the post above your own? The pedal kick tutorial is the fourth result down :S

Edited by Krisboats

I think the first thing i learnt whilst riding was just general bike control and riding up like 2 pallets the i went into pure hoping and doing endos when riding round and wheels.

But my balence on my rear wheel is still useless hahah...

Joshx

P.S The trashzen i think is amazing you should really take an hour and just browse through and wathc the tutorials they really do benifit you...

Hi

many thanks

dino

there is some video's on www.youtube.com tells you how to manual and all of that but i dont no if it shows you what you are talking about but i think you are talking about pedal hopping.

For me the best way to learn has always been just riding stuff and figuring things out myself, I've tried tutorial vids and such but practicing one move over and over again got me bored too fast. The only thing I really learned and targetted on was learning to pedalkick.

i taught myself back wheel control from doing wheelies although that dosent really help as many bikes no longer have saddles. the endo technique also seems to ring a bell and sounds a good idea

with the wheely thing, try it on grass first. flipping on conrete hurts alot. Also, i learnt to back hop with the endo technique, and got quite quickly.

I practised my rear wheel balance with the front wheel on a bench. It meant i could try hopping on the spot properly (without travelling a foot back each time) and if i fell forwards i could just lean back and start again. Had it nailed without the bench within a week.

• 2 weeks later...

Being a newbie myself, the best advice i can give you is to get on your back wheel with 1/8 of a pedal stroke using your choco foot. Us beginners, tend to have very poor balance so you need to get on your back wheel as fast as possible before loosing balance. I couldn't do it by rocking or using a ledge. I was struggling too much to keep balance.

Just practice hopping on two wheels first to get that bouncy/pogo-stick feeling. Use your legs and ankles to do it, especially ankles... not the arms. Backhopping is pretty much the same in my opinion.

Another trick is to pre-position yourself properly before lifting the front wheel. Arms and legs bent half way to start with. Keep your elbows locked, head down, do not loose your position while tilting. If done properly it should feel quite clumsy, you should be close to the bike. Go with the 1/8 pedal stroke and catch the bike with your rear brake(one finger). You should remain in the same starting position on your back wheel. Try to do 1-2 hopping to begin with. Try to hop as you were hopping on your two wheels.

You will eventually hop backward and have problem leveling your crankset but that's normal. Focus on those 1-2 hops just to understand the concept. You'll be backhopping in no time after that.

Hope it helps, good luck!!

Edited by neomember