Front Brake

gr8grumble

A few weeks back my avid was at its peak.... stayed like it for about 2months, then out of no where it just died?!

i bedded it in really well, have it set up well and treat it well. But in the past few days its not been working right?

its still a good brake, but its not locking amazing... before it hurt my wrists with its power.

has this happened to anyone or can anyone help me here?

so basically its slowly gettin worse..

ive tried avid rotor and hope.

thanks in advance.

graham...

It cant be... the only thing that is odd, is loadsa black stuff comes of the pads when wet, but i always wipe that off when im bedding it in anyway..

the rotors im sure are pretty fine...

could try new pads but im almost certain there fine...

The rotor is set up really straight... it is inline with the non moving pad pefectly.. soo the rotor does not move or flex at all.

I have replaced the cable... but nothing, and the arm thing isnt bottoming out... like when it goes in to far n stops. To my knowledge.. its set up really well, it worked well before, nothing has changed much.. its just re-tiring, and i dont like it. Its only 2months old...

help.... :D

The only thing I can think of is...

Take the disk off, boil it in the sauce pan. Get some sandpaper and take the shiny layer off the pad. Rebuild it all back together. Then go ride round with brake slightly on, for about 10mins. By this time the rotor should be very hot, Then get some ice cold water and poor it over the disk. Then ride normaly and you should feel the power again. If this doesnt work the first time then try it again.

sounds like contamination to me buddy

Sounds like it to me too. Seriously, one of my discs stopped working suddenly and I thought there was no way it could be contaminated (and it looked fine). Anyway, I burnt the pads (on the hob, but it's better - and more fun :twisted: - if you have a blowtorch) and cleaned the disc (soapy water, or proper degreaser if you have some) and it's now fine. Just try it, it doesn't take long. You can thank me later when it works.

The only other thing is if you've worn through the pads - but I think you'd have noticed if you had metal-on-metal.

Sounds like it to me too. Seriously, one of my discs stopped working suddenly and I thought there was no way it could be contaminated (and it looked fine). Anyway, I burnt the pads (on the hob, but it's better - and more fun :twisted: - if you have a blowtorch) and cleaned the disc (soapy water, or proper degreaser if you have some) and it's now fine. Just try it, it doesn't take long. You can thank me later when it works.

The only other thing is if you've worn through the pads - but I think you'd have noticed if you had metal-on-metal.

ive sort of tried that.. its working better now. its bedding back in, hopefully it'll keep getting better.

one last thing, does everyone get loads of black stuff come off there avid bb7 pads? when water is applied?

and thanks tomm.. its getting better. (Y)

ive sort of tried that.. its working better now. its bedding back in, hopefully it'll keep getting better.

one last thing, does everyone get loads of black stuff come off there avid bb7 pads? when water is applied?

and thanks tomm.. its getting better. (Y)

err, no