Profile Skipping

powerz

Is it a known thing for a profile hub to skip as i thought they were ment to be very reliable, only mine is skipping afair bit like 5 times in about an hour sesh,

also if i replace the springs & pawls then surly there cant be anything else causing the prob can there?, as the chains running fine on front & rear cogs and its defo not the BB thats making the loud clonk.

Sorry for the kinda noobie question but i dont fancy laying out for new springs/pawls if there is something else that i could try.

Cheers Ash.

Edited by powerz

1. Are both the pawls engaging at once?

2. Are the pawls sharp or maybe they've chipped?

3. Is the system lubed with thin oil, or have you put lots of grease into it?

4. Is there play on the bearings/driver?

5. Is the ratchet in good condition?

Can't think of anything else, from my experience they're incredibly reliable hubs.

.Hub spins real smooth now & has no wobble side to side or anything

.Well there has been afew times that when ive had the driver out 1 or 2 of the pawls push in then the spring piece moves round so it has no spring to push the pawl back, but im thinking maybe when the drivers in the hub shell the spring has no room to move round but i dont know?

(this is why i was guna buy a new set but cant believe the price lol)

.Its just had 4 brand new driver bearings and was all cleaned out then i used a tiny bit of 3 in 1 oil.

.The ratchet and pawls ect all seem o.k, just the fact that sometimes after pushing them in afew times by hand they do get stuck in.

Edited by powerz

right the new spring/pawl set has arrived today but has any one got any pics of how the spring pieces go as im not sure they were in there right to start with.

cheers

p/s i tried the profile site but couldnt get a close up picy of which way the spring pieces go.

Edited by powerz

right iv'e just finaly found a picy of how the springs are ment to go. Iv'e cleaned it all out and im going to use a very tiny amount of 3in1 oil & give it a good ride tonight & il post up what happens.

Edited by powerz

how about the tension of your chain?

If It isn't quite good then, That can cause it to skip!

sorry but this is a big thing. This was the only reason mine skipped

Also look at your ratchet ring, the pawls should dig in to the cutouts so you can work out the orientation that way. As far as I know, you can actually change between left hand drive/right hand drive by changing the ratchet ring + then wapping the pawls + springs around.

Anyway tighten you chain :P seriously. If its new it needs bedding in, so let it skip a bit, open it, clean it out and then run it with a tight chain, should be fine. I never lubed mine up btw.