Any Xp Experts ?

Endohopper

So , I recently changed many of my desktop icons from the default ones to some better lookin' ones , but recently they've started to revert back to defaults whenever I restart . I now present exhibit A :

post-3439-1189422315_thumb.jpg

As you can see , most are intact , but what's the deal with those ugly white square ones ? There seems to be no discernable pattern in which icons are affected , either . I've run a battery of tests and concluded that Spyware / Malware / CIA mind control are not the culprit . If it's any use , I'm running the " use large icons " option . ( Window XP Pro . ) So , uhhh ... any ideas ?

:ermm:

Edited by Endohopper

the big ugly picture is what windows defaults to if it can't find the icon it's looking for or there is no icon assigned to a file type.

ergo

the icon file isn't where windows is expecting to find it

oh, there may not be a large icon option in the icons you're using

Edited by poopipe

... the icon file isn't where windows is expecting to find it ...

Indeed , the icons are in a folder among my other pictures , but it's always been thus without any undue paininassishness . You may be onto something with the whole " some icons can't handle being displayed large " vibe , however . Anyone else had / solved this ?

Indeed , the icons are in a folder among my other pictures , but it's always been thus without any undue paininassishness . You may be onto something with the whole " some icons can't handle being displayed large " vibe , however . Anyone else had / solved this ?

Actually I think he's right. If oyu ahd two different icons, (Small + Big) you would (probably) have two different icons i.e. Icon(small).whatevr and Icon(big).whatever. If that was true, you may only have small icons. Have a look through differnt icons and see if they exist in both big and small.