Bb5 Users And Brake Lever Question

Greetings

I'm pretty sure there was a topic like this recently, can't find it though >_<

Anyway, there's been a huge price drop in BB5 brakes (30 quid for a 203mm one which is less than the Roundagon rotor supplied with the brake retails for :blink: ) and I'm wondering if these are worth getting.

Don't really need all the adjustments that the BB7 has to offer, just need a very powerful brake. Out of the two, I've heard from many people that BB5's have much less locking power and that the pads are almost 2x smaller (which according to Google is true).

So, who on here runs an 8" BB5 on a stock/6" on a mod and could share their opinions with us?

And finally, is there any lever that gives more mechanical advantage than the Avid SD7?

or8 geeza :)

the bb5 2007 is a excelent brake ive been running one for 9 months now with no problems what so ever . when i first had it i was using it with a 165 avid roundagon rotor on a 26 inch bike wich was so powerful the spokes losened off. recently ( 3 months ago) i upgraded to a crappy tetriko 180 rotor wich is amazing . with a decent rotor this brake bites and holds with no questions asked . and even with my poo rotor i still find myself on the floor . also the brake is very easy to set up and forget about and it provides a nearly szolid lever feel . also i ran this on the rear of my stock with a 160 rotor and it worked amazing and never roled through . i hope ive helped but if u have any questions please feel free to add me on msn :)

Will be getting Ultimates if the dual disc setup is satisfactory. Do they really have more mechanical advantage over the SD7?

or8 geeza :)

the bb5 2007 is a excelent brake ive been running one for 9 months now with no problems what so ever . when i first had it i was using it with a 165 avid roundagon rotor on a 26 inch bike wich was so powerful the spokes losened off. recently ( 3 months ago) i upgraded to a crappy tetriko 180 rotor wich is amazing . with a decent rotor this brake bites and holds with no questions asked . and even with my poo rotor i still find myself on the floor . also the brake is very easy to set up and forget about and it provides a nearly szolid lever feel . also i ran this on the rear of my stock with a 160 rotor and it worked amazing and never roled through . i hope ive helped but if u have any questions please feel free to add me on msn :)

Ahh thanks man, feel much better now. Ordered this brake an hour ago, was having second thoughts about it until I saw your post :D

I think the main difference is just stiffness and it quality between the sd7 and ultimate. Seeing as a sd7 is cast right? the ultimate will feel alto stiffer hut saying that you can get sd7's set up right on a brake and theres hardly any flex in them. There really good levers for price.

It's obviously the budget version, but it certainly isn't bad quality braking. I've got a bb5 on the front and bb7 on the rear, and in terms of locking/holding power I'd say there is no difference that I can feel with my delicate fingers ;D

They're both 185mm F+R rotors on a mod but for 30 quid I think it's a bloody bargain.

avid ultimates have a sealed bearing in the lever but in terms of more power/leverage there exaclty the same i supose its just more of a pimp factor , id say try and find a realy stiff lever somethings like a shimano xt i hear that is what tunni is using .

He's using xtrs, the silver ones.

Matx

hey everyone, i have got a avid bb5 on a 160 rotor with a standard lever and its really good. i changed from a hope mono mini and i definatly prefer it. plenty of lock and hold. on a 185mm rotor i would imagine it would be awsome. definatly recomend it, get one!!

cheers

tim

Should be getting mine tomorrow with a pair of SD7 levers, will write a short review after it's bed in.

Indeed the XTR levers are immense but also a bit expensive. They cost almost as much as Ultimates yet don't have sealed bearings and aren't of such quality.

do you mind me asking were from ?

Adam

Local shop (poland). I guess they'd send to the UK but the price including postage would be similar to CRC :P

wow the silver paint makes the brake feel soo much nicer, and that added bit of hold and bite which can save ur life, oh my god i want the silver ones!!!

Or perhaps he's just pointing out the fact that, the reason they look like XT's is because they are an old model that was available in silver, rather than the usual XTR gray, therefor giving an explanation to the previous misunderstanding, and advice on what year model might be better?

So, who on here runs an 8" BB5 on a stock/6" on a mod and could share their opinions with us?

And finally, is there any lever that gives more mechanical advantage than the Avid SD7?

I'm running a BB5 with a 203 rotor and an Avid SD 5 or 7 (I forget) lever and it stops me on just about anything I decide to ride down. Usually I get more scared that I'll go ove the bars or my forks'll snap. Well worth the money and a bargain at £30 - although mine was £25.