I Can't Stop Pedalling!

duggyd

Hi, this is my first post in the full members forum, just got validated. :) So hi everyone!

My problem is as follows: When I stop pedalling, the chain loses tension at the top, and gets sucked between the tyre and the frame, just behind the BB. Is this a broken freehub? I seem to remember it happening a few years ago (I've not ridden for AGES), but could not remember if this was the culprit or not.

I'm running a 7 speed cassette on a very old STXRC hub (prob pre 2000!) if that helps?! How much am i looking at to repair?

Thanks very much in advance for any replies :)

well welcome to unretarded members firstly

When you stop pedalling you will always loose tension anyway. It sounds like you have too little tension to begin with if its managing to get sucked into the tyre

Go to your bike, and grab the 2 chain lines in your hand (thumb touching lower chain, fingers touching upper chain) and then squeeze it together. How much does it move (BTW This needs a proper name for future reference :P ) If top and bottom move anymore than say 12-17mm then I would say its too slack (thats not combined btw, if the top one can be lowered 12-17mm AND the bottom can be raised 12-17mm its too slack)

Get back to me on that and we'll discuss further issues :)

Thanks for the welcome PaRtZ :)

I have done the 'chain pinch' (What i think it should be called for future reference! :P) and i can make the top and bottom of the chain meet behind the chainstay if i give it a bit of a push. Is that bad? I thought it was normal when running a mech?

Thing is though if i lift the back wheel and get it spinning, in the same place every rotation the cassette seems to catch, and try and move with the wheel which is what made me think it was the pawls or something?

I have also checked the mech by releasing the gear cable and giving it a good stretch and poke! All of the springs seem to be fine, pulling the right way and all. It's an pld xt mech btw. Doubt it makes a difference, they were pretty good in their day!

Thanks for the help guys. :)

I'd say it is your freehub that's the problem. I started off riding trials using an XT hub... killed it learning to pedal kick/gap and this problem used to happen to me a lot. Running a Pro2 now... sweeeet!

...Hi btw! :)

Thanks too :)

I think that's what it might be, i've not ridden for ages, so i'm not being very gentle with it! lol Relearning pedal kicks and the like. Pro2, will have to look at those. I'm awaiting PaRtZ's daignosis too, hopefully we can get it sorted so i can get back on it! Cheers

with these older style shimano hubs the freehubs seize up quite commonly, we always get them in the bike shop to be repaired! I reckon this means its time for a new freehub atleast, but if you want to use it for trials i might recomend a whole new hub, a hope mono rear would be an improvement :)

Right ok, so it looks like the freehub then. Guess that's not the end of the world.

I have looked a the Hope Pro2 Trials hub, it's a work of art! 48 engagements, as opposed to 16 for a shimano hub or something, awesome. Gutted that it's so expensive though, i don't have the money to get it. :

Looks like it'll have to be a replacement freehub for the time being, my budget is SO small!

Ok, so can anyone recommend a decent bikeshop in Liverpool?

Thanks everyone for you input, much appreciated

What's wrong with Halfords, he only wants a freehub! Oh yeah, there is Quinns Cycles on Edge Lane too.... on the basis you want to drive/ride to a local shop?

...start a thread in the sale/wanted section, someone is bound to have a cheap freehub going spare!

Edited by Concussion

What's wrong with Halfords, he only wants a freehub! Oh yeah, there is Quinns Cycles on Edge Lane too.... on the basis you want to drive/ride to a local shop?

...start a thread in the sale/wanted section, someone is bound to have a cheap freehub going spare!

halfords will rob you and do a shite job! really, go to your LBS :)

someone might even have a hope mono or xc for sale in the classifieds for less than £20 or so, make a wanted topic

Fair enough, thought he was gonna fit it himself... hell, I'll fit it for you if you don't live to far away from me! I'd go for that Mono/XC/Pro2 hub a.s.a.p. though.

oh right, if its just to buy then it should be ok (Y) but dont get halfords to fit it for you (N)

yer, agree with concussion, go for an upgrade soon as you can, cheap hubs cost teeth!

I like my teeth :) But £100 is a lot of wedge. But what value can you put on teeth?! Will get in the classifieds when i get paid on Fri to try and get a proper hub. I'm just playing around on little stuff atm, but when i start to get even a little bit bigger i will invest in one to save my pearly whites. D

Thanks for all the replies guys. :) I live in Aintree, and work in the centre, so could take it in to work one day to get it done at whcihever shop is nearest.. Don't you need a chainwhip and special tool thing to take off the locknut? I haven't got one if you do, so the shop option will have to do.

I'll steer clear of Halfords to fit it, i've never really had a very good opinion of their bike section to be honest, and i like to give little shops the custom, and they care about it more too. (hopefully)

http://www.trialfutur.net/?osCsid=a53bd2cd...bf55315d9bbbed8 is in Merseyside, but the other side of the river i thnk, there should be one closer. But i will definately bear it in mind for future purchases, thanks Danny.

Don't you need a chainwhip and special tool thing to take off the locknut?

Yeah you do, any bike should have these tools but I don't really know the shops in Aintree... should be one though! In fact I have a spare chainwhip and lock ring tool if you want them for say... £5? I'm in town most Thursdays if you want it?

And damn, those little bits of metal are meant to hold my pedal kicking power and not break! lol, no wonder i broke it!

Thanks for the pictures, it's always nice to know what's going on inside [arts of the bike, and the freehub is about the only one i don't know about.

Yeah you do, any bike should have these tools but I don't really know the shops in Aintree... should be one though! In fact I have a spare chainwhip and lock ring tool if you want them for say... £5? I'm in town most Thursdays if you want it?

Hmm, lemme think about that one, thanks :)

Will get it to the bike shop this time i think, just for ease, and then when I wanna start playing about with single speed and stuff i'll get one then. If you still have it I'll have it off you!