Brake Fluid.... Dot 4/5.1

Matthew62

hi, i got mine from the local petrol station. i think it was £3 for 500ml of either dot4 or dot 5.1 i thought that was quite a good price. when i used to have my hope i ran dot5.1 with motorbike oil it had a higher boiling point and the lever felt alot firmer it was really good.

tim

All the Dot reading stands for is boiling point, you can have dot 3 in maggies and they will be fine (ive never seen lower than 3), you can still have low quality 5.1.

The main benefits of Dot 3,4,5.1 is that it is hydroscopic (absorbs water), dot 5 is silicon based (others are glycol) and does not absorb water, allowing it to travel to the bottom and corrode calipers.

It tells you in the magura manual not to use DOT brake fluid

http://www.magura.com/7thsenseCMS/index.ph...d=13795&L=1

Reasons being the rubber seals will perish, dont believe me? Get some rubber gloves, pour brake fluid on them and see how much easier they split. Or even better pour it on ur mums car and see what happens :)

Use the proper fluid. I personally run water/anti-freeze 50/50 in mine, the antifreeze acts as a corrosion inhibitor.

ahhhh shit, just read that its not for maggies, oh well... just got in from work, may as well leave it there

halfords normal and motorbike stuff is good, carplan are good to, thats what we use at work (mechanic) depends what its going in really]

once again id like to add i feel a twat for writing that out un necessarily

Edited by moto_psycho