How Do You Balanace

nickmpower

It will come with time my friend, just keep trying, everything will come into place and within no time you'll have the balance of a balanced thing!

Practice practice practice, seriously, it's the only way you're going to learn things.

BUT, if you aren't a novice and have a decent balance, it might be that something on your bike is wonky, such as your bars, they might be to one side or something similar, which will cause dodgyness, try making things that go side to side (mainly bars, grips and levers) all as symetrical as you can, even the smallest things really can make a big difference.

I never really learned to balance (part of the reason i've given up with trials now).

I can trackstand until I get bored n stuff but it's not really balance, it's about keeping yourself moving a tiny little amount back and forth so the momentum keeps you upright

if you can't do it properly just cheat (Y)

How do you guys stay balanced so well? I can do while stopped if i jump around but when i wheelie i always fall to one side. Any tips?

Who do you know to get validated so quick?! With regards wheelies, there's probably stuff in the Wiki section but as a bit of advice you will never have perfect balance while wheelieing (how do you spell that?). You're always altering the fore/aft position of your body/the bike using the pedals and brakes and left/right balance is controlled with the bars and your knees. Takes time to get them dialled though like anything.

Dave

Edited by monkeyseemonkeydo

Hi,

To stop falling to the side, use a smaller gear and get the front wheel higher. With the front wheel low or a big gear, you need to use a lot of body motion to generate the torque to keep the front wheel lifted, this body movement includes too much side to side so you eventually fall to one side.

With a lower gear and the front wheel higher, much less torque is required to keep the wheel up and you can concentrate on using your body motion to keep the bike in side to side balance rather than having to heave to keep the front up.

As with everything else, learn to track stand first, then try going straight into a wheelie from a track stand, this is a good way for a beginner to drop off small obstacles and gives you a good feel for side to side balance and lifting the front wheel - all essential stuff.

If all your interested in is longer wheelies, find a gear where you can lift the front enough to fall off the back, this is your wheelie gear, now keep doing this but work on learning the falling back point, this is where you need to balance to wheelie, its probably further back ie. the front wheel is higher than you previously thought, but as you reach this point back off the pedal pressure or feather the brake to stop yourself going over and keep pedalling to keep the front up - dragging the brake lightly the whole time will give you some extra confidence, vary the pressure between the pedals and the brake to keep yourself up - i.e. not quite falling of the back. Its also easier to learn up a slight hill.

Duane.