Sheffield Journalism Vs. Newcastle Media+communication

GuyJames

Right, need opinions of actual university students at Sheffield, Newcastle, DeMontfort, Birmingham and Huddersfield! And if you do either Journalism or Media/English subjects, give some feedback too as to how the course has met/not met up to your expectations. I'm swaying towards Sheffield to do Journalism because it encorporates English and Media, the subjects I am most interested in and because Sheff is a big city with hopefully, a bangin' nightlife but I'm told Newcastle is great too by my Pa. I've done the whole UCAS and the website bit and now want real people to give a view and thought the good people of TF would be able to help out. Oh, and are DeMontfort/Huddersfield small places? I'm visiting them all this week to see firsthand but it will only provide a small snippet whereas someone who's done Uni at these places will be able to offer more.

Thank you in advance, Guy

In your situation I'd go for Journalism, it has far better future prospects then Media. Media seems to have the reputation for the 'dossers subject'; although I've never done it so I won't be a hypocrit. Although, media does (to me) seem a pretty pointless thing to go to university for.

What do you want to do when you leave Uni? You're there for about 3 years; its really not a long time. And then what? Work...

So, what do you want to do for a living? End of the day you go to work for money, I think Journalism will be far more rewarding.

I have aspirations of being a travel writer, although I'm not sure as there are a thousand jobs out 'there' which I have never heard of and could be well suited for, it's a dilema.

My Ma said aslong as you get a degree it doesn't really matter what the hell it is in anyway, just proves your mind is worth a dam and you're intelligent. She went to Leeds and became a solicitor so I have alot of respect for her opinion.

Keep the info coming though people and thank you to Tomm and anzo.